VMware Cloud Community
syseng_sn
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter doesn't create events related to ESXi hosts hardware health changes

Hi,

I have a strange issue on vCenters 6.5 related to hardware health monitoring.

I can see hardware alerts/warnings in multiple ESXi hosts 'Hardware Status' tab (disk/power supply/battery... related). But none of them triggered an Event, so consequently no vCenter alert has been triggered.

I've checked this on our vCenter 6.0 server, and things are working there as expected. I've noticed that vCenter 6.0 has 'Hardware Health Service' - Collection and analysis of IPMI sensor metrics from hardware running ESXi. That service is not present on vCenter 6.5.

CIM polling should be working (otherwise we couldn't get alerts/warnings in host 'Hardware Status' tab), but somehow it doesn't generate 'hardware health changed' vCenter Event.

Kind regards,

Vladimir

3 Replies
mhampto
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Was ESXi installed with a custom image? Was there anything in the vpxd log files when an event occurs that show the change?

0 Kudos
syseng_sn
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, ESXi hosts were installed from Dell custom image.

Today one ESXi host rebooted and I can see in the 'Hardware Status' for that host alerts for memory 'Uncorrectrable ECC' and processor IERR, but no vCenter event/alert wasn't generated.

Also nothing is present in the vCenter vpxd.log file. CIM agent is working on the host - based on the 'hardware status' report and logs from hostd.log.

This was working 2 months ago. Just can't get figure out what changed in the meanwhile. Already checked system users password expiration and similar things, nothing seems wrong.

0 Kudos
kbiradar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi there

6.5 was a transitional phase for hardware health of esxi host.

There is KB article for the same

VMware Knowledge Base https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2151238

This is known issue and in upcoming releases for 6.5, hope to resolve this issue

If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful