VMware Cloud Community
yousefj86
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCenter disconnected from Portgroup

My vCenter disconnected from Portgroup and I cant access it. Because I use Distributed switch, so I can’t change vCenter portgroup via ESXi host.
The version which I use is 7 ( not 7 update 1), is it possible its happen due to software bugs?
How can I access to vCenter? How you any idea why this portgroup is corrupted ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi @yousefj86 ,

Is this the only VM that lost access from that port group. 

If you know the ESXi hosts where the vCenter VM resides or if  the environment doesn't have a lot of ESXi hosts, first thing would be to connect to the host directly and check the status port group,uplink and the status of vCenter VM.

Try creating a standard switch with a VM port group and change the vCenter network port group to it in order to gain access to vCenter VM for now. 

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi @yousefj86 ,

Is this the only VM that lost access from that port group. 

If you know the ESXi hosts where the vCenter VM resides or if  the environment doesn't have a lot of ESXi hosts, first thing would be to connect to the host directly and check the status port group,uplink and the status of vCenter VM.

Try creating a standard switch with a VM port group and change the vCenter network port group to it in order to gain access to vCenter VM for now. 

Hope that helps.

yousefj86
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your quick response
We have 6 ESX host installed on HPE DL380 G10 servers. Also there are 10 other VM's on this port group.
It should be noted that other port groups in DVS are working fine and just this one has problem.
Can you please let me know witch which command I can check it better ?

Regards,

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I can't tell you what has caused the disconnect. However, such issues are the reason, why you should always create an additional "ephemeral" port group on the distributed switch for the vCenter Server subnet. Ephemeral port groups can be selected/attached to a VM from the ESXi Host Client.

Do you have an unused NIC on the host on which your vCenter is running? If so, you could create a temporary standard vSwitch, and port group to bring vCenter online again.

André

ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Either you can connect to these hosts directly using their hostname/IP address in the browser and check where the vCenter VM is running Or connect to any one of the hosts via SSH and follow this article --> https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2004187 

0 Kudos
yousefj86
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you team

is there any relation between this issue occurred in vCenter Port group and peer physical switches?
"in our case we use cisco Nexus 9K in ACI mode"
Regards

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hey @yousefj86,

So regarding to your last question, the disconnection could be related to some modification on the physical switches as you are saying that all the required portgroups are working fine and the VDS configuration is common for all of them. Check for the next:

• If you are using physical ports in Trunk mode, verify that the VLAN on the portgroup affected has not been removed.
  • Check for the physical NICs status that are configured in the porgroup.
  • If you have more than one physical NIC configured, check for the Teaming and Failover policy.

These are some custom checks that could affect one portgroup for stop working and is more related to L2/L3 connectivity issues.