VMware Cloud Community
Philch
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter database, which authentication method?

Hi experts,

i installed a vCenter 5.5 after the DB administrator had created the vCenter DB (SQL) on a separated VM.

For the installation, he activated the SA account for this DB.

Before the installation, i configured a SQL Server ODBC Connection (SQL Server Native Client 11.0), specified the SA account and the authentication method "With SQL Server authentication using a login ID an password entered by the user".

During the installation, it seems that the above information had been collected and used to create the registry "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware VirtualCenter\DB".

After the installation period, the DBA remove the access right to SA.

We defined a new user and the VMware vCenter Server service start with an AD account.

Everything works fine but the DBA see the following message every 30 minutes:

"Login failed for user 'SA'. Reason: An attempt to login using SQL authentication failed. Server is configured for Windows authentication only."

"Login failed for user 'svcvirtualcenter'. Reason: An attempt to login using SQL authentication failed. Server is configured for Windows authentication only."

If i change the value in the ligne "2", from SA to svcvirtualcenter, the username changes in the above message.

"Login failed for user 'svcvirtualcenter'. Reason: An attempt to login using SQL authentication failed. Server is configured for Windows authentication only."

Questions:

- May i used an AD account for the vCenter user to connect to its SQL database?

- Which task used the user defined in the above registry?

- In the registry, there is a value noticed something like "SQL authentication". How to change it to Windows authentication?

In advance thank you for your help.

Best regards.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
0 Replies