VMware Cloud Community
nickwowen
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter crashed after Host added into dvs switch

Environment 3 hosts, ESXi 6.5 DL160 G9 with VSA, vCenter 6.7 and NSX appliance.

I have a vCenter with separate platform service controller on a HPE VSA storage and DVSwitches. I have rebuilt the vCenter several times as found several issues including vib errors. Its been stable for about a day after setting it up from scratch.

I added two hosts into DVSwitches yesterday and no issue, added the 3rd host into the DVSwitches this morning and its crashed screenshots of both PSC & VC included.

As each host is on DVS instead of Vswitch and the VM are on VSA storage there are now inaccesible via the host. So I'm unable to SSH onto these.

Would this be a hardware issue with one of the hosts?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Seniore
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

At a first glance it seems like a storage issue.
Might be that your vCenter has lost access to the storage device.
Where is your vCenter hosted? Is it maybe on the 3rd host?
How is your storage configured - especially the one where vCenter is hosted?
If it's NFS or ISCSI it might be that during the switch from VSS to DVS the connection gets interrupted and vCenter loses access to the storage.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
nickwowen
Contributor
Contributor

So the vCenter is on datastore which is on iscsi path on VSA appliance.

The vCenter is on the host 1 as I had to migrate that over before adding host 3 to dvswitches.

The HPE Storevirtual CMC states both host 1 & 2 are up and running with network paths and showing iSCSI paths. Host 3 isn't up as it changed the physical nics to DVSwitches but not the machine itself when I added the host into the DVSwitch.

0 Kudos