VMware Cloud Community
runitsaaron
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter client/web showing different network settings 5.1

I've mainly still been using the desktop client to manage vCenter since it's easier to keep it open on the desktop.  For a while now, I've been seeing weird network issues, and I think i just found out why.vmnetwork.JPG

For some reason, vmnic1 is showing up on the web as an unused adapter.  It isn't even assigned to that vSwitch, and in fact isn't assigned to any vSwitch yet.  I have a few other vmnics that aren't configured yet either.  This server has been formatted and setup from scratch, so I'm wondering if maybe there's some stale info still in the vCenter database.  In the desktop client, it doesn't show vmnic1 as being unused, it's only in the web client that it shows up.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
slackowski
Contributor
Contributor

Runitsaaron

What you seeing on the screen shot is correct. If the vmnic1 is not in use and not assigned to any switch than it would show in that menu as a unused because it is plugged in and active. The vcenter is seeing it as "UP".

Your adapter vmnic1 is just there as "unused" just to show that it is accessible and available for you to use.

If you login via the client, and check the network adapters on that host you should see that the vmnic1 is operational and it should show you something like 1000Full under the speed.

Hope that helps.

Please score if you found this helpful or if it answered your questions.

SL

0 Kudos
runitsaaron
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't think that's it.  If it was, the other adapters would also show up as being unused, which they don't.  Here's a picture from another host.  You can see that vmnic1 is being shown twice as being unused, which doesn't make any sense.

network2.JPG

0 Kudos
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Try restarting the vCenter Server and vCenter Invertory Services to ensure Inventory services are showing the latest and correct details.

0 Kudos
runitsaaron
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm on the right track now.  It seems that if I add any vmnics greater than 9, it adds a phantom vmnic1 for each #1 is sees.  So, if I add vmnic10, it adds a vmnic1, if I add a vmnic11, it adds 2 vmnic1's.  My 3rd host only has 8 vmincs, not 12, so that's why I'm not seeing it there.

0 Kudos
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

it doesnt look like an expected behavior. Its good to report this issues (open an SR) with VMware support. VMware will get this fixed if its a product issue/bug.

0 Kudos
nealbarrett
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I am seeing the exact same thing running vCenter 5.5 Update 2e (Windows) and ESXi 5.5 U2 on my hosts... anywhere there is vmnic10 or greater, a phantom vmnic1 gets added as "Unused" to that vSwitch and Port Group... only in Web Client... C# Client reports correctly... no phantom vmnic1's there...

I have a vSwitch used for iSCSI with 4 vmnics numbered 12-15... and in Web Client I see 4 phantom vmnic1's in the Unused section of that vSwitch and the associated port groups.

I use VUM to regularly update/maintain my hosts... they have all the current patches, etc... so evidently this has not yet been patched? I cannot seem to find any other reference to this issue or if it has even been acknowledged as a defect?

When I have some free time, I will submit to VMware support as well, but wanted someone to know that it is still happening... opening a case at this point is not warranted since it appears to only be a UI defect.

If anyone else knows of a fix or some other documentation about this issue... please pass it along... Thanks!

0 Kudos