VMware Cloud Community
wing122
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter & associated services start up dependencies in 5.0 and 5.1

While I was setting up two test vCenters, versions 5.0 and 5.1 on Windows 2008 R2 + SQL 2008 R2, I noticed the service dependencies are not exactly the same by default.

Also from my experience, I have to manually add dependencies to ensure services are started in the proper order especially when some database gets larger and takes longer time to full initiate.

I'll list out the dependencies that I have set and what was set as default. I've omitted VirtualCenter Management Webservices as that is the same across both version which depends on vCenter service.

vCenter 5.0

<Inventory Service> - depends on vCenter Server(set by default)

<Profile-Driven Storage Service> - depends on Inventory Service(set manually)

<vCenter Service> - depends on SQL, VMwareVCMSDS(set manually).

vCenter 5.1

<Single Sign On Service> - depends on SQL(set manually)

<Inventory Service> - no dependency. I read elsewhere that it should depend on Single Sign On, which is what I've set.

<Profile-Driven Storage Service> - depends on Inventory Service(set manually)

<vCenter Service> - depends on SQL, Single Sign On, VMwareVCMSDS and Inventory service(set manually)

Question 1: I am trying to figure out the proper service dependencies for all the services related to vCenter to ensure that the correct startup order is used. Is there any glaring issues with what I've set?

Question 2: By default the Inventory service in 5.0 is dependent on vCenter service, but it is omitted in 5.1. Does Inventory service depend on vCenter? and should it start before or after vCenter service?

Question 3: Are there any dependencies to be set for vSphere Web Client?

Thanks for reading.

0 Kudos
0 Replies