VMware Cloud Community
Kneeoh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCenter and SQL server Virtual Hardware Upgrade Stuck

vSphere 5.5

I've updated all of my vm hardware to version 10. All went great except for vCenter and the MSSQL VM. They both say the upgrade (succeeded) but I'm unable to vmotion the vms any where because of the following error:

A general system error occurred:

The destination host is not compatible with the hardware version to which the VM is scheduled to be upgraded. In order to proceed with the operation, VM's scheduled compatibility upgrade should be disabled.

I've done the following:

- shutdown both vms

- rebooted the host

- removed from host inventory and added to another

The following screenshot shows the success message on both VMs and it will not go a way. It is not present on any of my other VMsScreen Shot 2014-05-09 at 12.38.39 PM.png

Any ideas on how to fix this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SanjaySP1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thanks for sharing the update.

Could you please check if below lines exist in the respective virtual machine vmx files.

virtualHW.scheduledUpgrade.state = "done"

virtualHW.scheduledUpgrade.when = "safe"

If yes, power off the respective virtual machine, take a backup of the vmx file and remove those lines from the active file, following which I'm confident that this issue should not be seen.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Kneeoh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Add removing and reinstalling vmware tools to the list. still no luck.

0 Kudos
Kneeoh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

bump

0 Kudos
SanjaySP1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

Please try below steps :

Step 1. Log in to web-client and select the Cluster or Data-center (preferred) in which the impacted virtual machines are running.

Step 2. Click the Related Objects tab and choose Virtual Machines tab > select all the Virtual Machines using CTRL key.

Step 3. Select Actions > All vCenter Actions > Compatibility > Cancel Scheduled VM Upgrade.

You should see a pop-up stating 'X' number of Virtual machines scheduled for upgrade will be cancelled. Choose 'ok' and we should be good.

Please let me know if the above action plan works.

Thanks you.

0 Kudos
Kneeoh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sanjay, I tried the suggested actions but Vmware says that there are no machines eligible. I've attached a screen shot of the response as well as the vm affected.

Screen Shot 2014-05-21 at 12.20.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-05-21 at 12.21.32 PM.png

0 Kudos
Kneeoh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

As an observation, since this is happening on vCenter VM and the MSSQL VM (for vcenter) These are the only two Windows VMs in the cluster...All other VMs are Linux and do not have this problem, not sure if that's noteworthy.

0 Kudos
SanjaySP1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thanks for sharing the update.

Could you please check if below lines exist in the respective virtual machine vmx files.

virtualHW.scheduledUpgrade.when = "safe"

If yes, power off the respective virtual machine, take a backup of the vmx file and remove those lines from the active file, following which I'm confident that this issue should not be seen.

0 Kudos
Kneeoh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok this is what I have:

virtualHW.scheduledUpgrade.when = "always"

tools.upgrade.policy = "upgradeAtPowerCycle"

I'll remove the second line correct?

0 Kudos
SanjaySP1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Remove all three lines.

Please mark this thread as answered if above action plan helps in fixing the issue.

Thanks in advance.

Kneeoh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That worked! Thank you so much!

0 Kudos
LikeABrandit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I realize this is resurrecting a thread, please ignore my total lack of proper etiquette :smileydevil:. Here's the reason I res'd the thread:

I wrote a simple PowerCLI script to fix this and thought I'd share in case anyone else runs into it. It'll prompt for vCenter, then for location, then it'll run against VMs in that location only when the UpgradePolicy key isn't set to "never". In my experience on 5.5, this fixes the issue instantly, no reboot or shutdown required. If you need it, it's attached. Smiley Happy It has been tested on 5.5 and worked without issue, but please note that I imply no guarantees.

And this is why I wrote the script:

I recently ran into this issue due to a script I made to automatically upgrade VMs and their hardware for a client I was working with. Only a handful of VMs had the problem (and most of those were the ones I did my testing on), so it seems very uncommon but it does occur.

It's also worth noting that there should be no error, because I had identical hardware hosts, all just built and all on the same version and build of 5.5. Which leads me to my next point: This is a bug, at least in my case, and it still appears to exist in the current version. Although admittedly, while the vCenter is fully up to date, the host builds are from late 2014 until everything is in place so they can be upgraded too (thanks Obama!) :smileylaugh:. I plan to send the info up through the right channels.

~LikeABrandit

0 Kudos