VMware Cloud Community
cristinelcurea
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCenter and ESXi installed on VMs

Hello,

for a specific project I need to test some PowerCLI scripts.

For that, I can buy the Essential kit where I will be able to install one vCenter and maximum 3ESXi servers.

My question is: what happen if I will install the vCenter and on or two ESXi servers directly on Virtual Machines (all located on my workstation).

The question is related with "portability" of these VMs.

Can I start the VMs (the vCenter server and 2 ESXi servers) on different Physical machines (workstation)?

Is there any restriction from the licensing perspective?

best regards

Cristi

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If you ran them concurrently, you would be violating the licence agreement - 1 set at a time and I wouldn't see an issue.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If you ran them concurrently, you would be violating the licence agreement - 1 set at a time and I wouldn't see an issue.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
cristinelcurea
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I don't need to run simultaneously.

I need 1 vCenter and minimum 2 ESXi servers.

All VMs are stored on a mobile HDD.

I want to be sure that if I need to work on different workstations (not in the same time - but in different locations), there is no licensing implication, as long as the license key is installed on the VM(s) and not on physical machine(s) (my workstations).

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

You can deploy your required VMs in both of mentioned methods: In the same physical system or run into the different systems and connect them without any special issue. For your cencerns about the vmware product licensing, I suggest to use all of them in the evaluation mode, complete your pilot phase and then based on your required products, decide for the Licensing. 

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
cristinelcurea
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

First issue on the current implementation:

if you install an ESXi on a VM, the number of cores are equal with number of sockets.

So, you can't have ESXi servers with more than 2 cores (vCPU) per ESXi (in case of Essential kit license).

thanks

0 Kudos