VMware Cloud Community
TryllZ
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

vCenter access through PowerCli, Not Working..

Hi,

I'm unable to access vCenter server via PowerCLI, I use this command

Connect-VIServer -Server 192.168.169.8 -User Administrator@vsphere.local -password Passw0rd$

and receive this following error:

Connect-VIServer Permission to perform this operation was denied. Required privilege 'System.View' on managed object with id 'Folder-group-d1'

I first received the invalid certificate error which I got resolved with the command

Set-PowerCLIConfiguration -InvalidCertificateAction Ignore -Confirm:$false

And then I changed the command to access vCenter to

Connect-VIServer -Server 192.168.169.8

And I receive the windows popup for username and password, I tried accessing to which I receive the below error

connect-viserver : There was no endpoint listening at https://vcsa.dc.local/lookupservice/sdk that could accept the message. This is often caused by an incorrect address or SOAP action

For this error I found I need to achange advanced vCenter settings but I was unable to find advanced settingsin the vSphere UI or the vCSA administration web UI.

I am on vCSA 6.7.0.21000-11726888 and PowerCLI VMware PowerCLI 11.0.0 build 10380590

Anything else I have not tried yet.

Thank You

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TryllZ
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes I can ping vcsa.dc.local (via IP only and NOT the FQDN for which I had posted question here Can't access the vCSA via Web UI from host, cant get Stage 2 started ​and somewhat similar question here new sytand-alone vCenter Server DNS requirement ? which I got sorted by using IP instead of FQDN and it has been IP ever since.)

The laptop is the host for vCSA (vCSA is running in Workstation).

I will try to access it from a different VM and update here, thanks for the hint.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ryanrpatel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Are you able to ping vcsa.dc.local? Is your laptop in a different Domain than dc.local? Have you tried to connect from another PowerCLI client, perhaps on the same vLAN if that's an option?

0 Kudos
TryllZ
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes I can ping vcsa.dc.local (via IP only and NOT the FQDN for which I had posted question here Can't access the vCSA via Web UI from host, cant get Stage 2 started ​and somewhat similar question here new sytand-alone vCenter Server DNS requirement ? which I got sorted by using IP instead of FQDN and it has been IP ever since.)

The laptop is the host for vCSA (vCSA is running in Workstation).

I will try to access it from a different VM and update here, thanks for the hint.

0 Kudos
ryanrpatel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

As a quick test, add an entry in your Hosts file for that DNS to IP resolution.

0 Kudos
TryllZ
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks for the tip, I was trying to make it work for a long time, tried it via hosts file as well did not work.

Just now added in hosts file 192.168.169.8 vcsa.dc.local and now it works from the host PC.

Just for understanding, am I correct in understanding that because my DNS is 8.8.8.8 (set by my DHCP, beyond my control) my vcsa.dc.local is not being resolved by my windows resolver and the query is actually being redirected to 8.8.8.8,. I know this from my nslookup query which resulted in a reply from 8.8.8.8 and not locally ?!

0 Kudos
ryanrpatel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes that is correct. According to MS rules, DNS uses Hosts files first before Primary\Secondary DNS servers.

0 Kudos