VMware Cloud Community
rndname
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter Windows 6.0U3 to VCSA 6.5U1 failure

Hello.

vCenter and external PSC 6.0U3 - both on Windows 2012R2. 7464194 version.

Using latest release VCSA 6.5 7515524 I successfully migrated Windows PSC 6.0 to VCSA PSC 6.5.

Then I tried migrating the vCenter portion and encountered this problem:

"Error occurred while stopping source vpxd service: Service cannot be stopped. Error: INFO:root:Service: vpxd, Action: stop

2018-02-07T08:09:55.511Z ERROR stopping service: vpxd, Exception: (1051, 'ControlService', '\xca\xee\xec\xe0\xed\xe4\xe0 "

After this I tried stopping vpxd via "service-control --stop vpxd" with the same result. "service-control --stop --all" works fine.

As I understand, migration tries to stop service and then probably shutdown the server, but just can't and thus fails. Is there any solution to this?

I tried on my production vCenter server to stop this service but it obviously couldn't since all other dependent services are running giving me the same error.

vcsa_1.PNGvcsa_2.PNG

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MartinGustafsso
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Are you running the migration assistant in an elevated prompt? Seems you're getting permission denied,

0 Kudos
rndname
Contributor
Contributor

Yep, elevation prompt. I also disabled UAC on server completely. Either way in cmd I'm also getting this error. It seems maybe I need to disable some services before doing the migration, but I don't know which. If migration is trying to shutdown the server then it simply could use "service-control --stop --all" to do the same since this one works alright.

I think I'm gonna try to remove dependencies since I think that might be the problem. But I'm not sure how my environment is different so that this error never showed to anyone.

0 Kudos
MartinGustafsso
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I would create a support request and let VMware GSS help out.

0 Kudos
rndname
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, Martin.

As for me, I removed vpxd(VMware vCenter Virtual Server) as a dependency from all Windows services and migration tool successfully shutdown source machine to continue migration.

Basically, I did "sc config SERVICE_NAME depend=/" for every service that required vpxd as a parent. It messes with other dependencies the service might have, but the Windows server wouldn't be needed anyway.

MartinGustafsso
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Interesting! Haven't seen that one before. Glad you got it working.

0 Kudos