VMware Cloud Community
42vim
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter VM cannot be moved outside Discovered Virtual Machine folder

Hello all,

I've got one question regarding vCenter folders. I've read that you should be able to move VMs, unless you don't have the permissions to do it.

I have my vCenter machine inside of a "Discovered Virtual Machine", and I'd like to move it outside. However, when I try to do it an error modal appears saying the "Move to: action is unavailable".

All permissions are set in the same way as other VMs that I can freely move.

42vim_1-1652795264940.png

I attach some information regarding the version vCenter machine is running on.

42vim_0-1652795233825.png

42vim_0-1652795449799.png

Thank you so much.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
mbufkin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you checked the roles for the account you are using? Can you move them with administrator@vsphere.local?

42vim
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your answer. I am logged in as administrator@vsphere.local (where vsphere.local is my domain). It is not a local account.

Regarding the roles, I have the Administrator one.

0 Kudos
robc_yk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The only time I have seen something similar is if you are trying to move the VM to a different cluster of ESX hosts.

Looking at the host view for the VM, can you confirm that the folder you are trying to move it into is within the same cluster set?

0 Kudos
42vim
Contributor
Contributor

Yes. I've tried moving VMs with similar characteristics and they worked. vCenter doesn't...

42vim_0-1652807205872.png

This is the template view. I was able to change even the folder name but not moving it...

0 Kudos
42vim
Contributor
Contributor

Hello. Does someone know anything regarding this topic? Thanks!

0 Kudos
compdigit44
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is odd, you could try the following if you have a backup of your VCSA.

1) Make note of the host and data tore the VCSA is on.

2) Power it off

3) Remove it from "inventory"

4) Add the VM back to inventory and select a different folder

5) Power it on

6) Try to moved the VCSA between folders.

This is a long shot........

0 Kudos
42vim
Contributor
Contributor

Hello. Thank you for your response. It may sound ridiculous but, how can I remove the VM from the inventory if vCenter is offline? Should I do it from the vSphere client? Thank you so much!

0 Kudos
Ajay1988
Expert
Expert

It should work. Under VM and Templates View ; just drag and drop the VM to the Datacenter or any other folder . 

If you think your queries have been answered
Mark this response as "Correct" or "Helpful".

Regards,
AJ
0 Kudos
42vim
Contributor
Contributor

Hello @Ajay1988, thank you so much for your response. Sadly, the problem persists and the VM cannot be moved outside of the folder, to any folder. I can rename the folder, I can move other VMs inside and outside of that folder or other folders. It's vCenter the one that is not movable.

I've upgraded the vCenter version to the latest patch, just in case it was something related to versioning, and it still doesn't work. I've changed the Guest OS to Photon OS 64bit as well and checked carefully the configuration with other VMs that I can move, they are pretty much identical.

Is there any CLI way maybe of moving them? Thank you so much!

0 Kudos
compdigit44
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can use Powercli to move the VM to a different folder. See the following link for further information.

https://vdc-repo.vmware.com/vmwb-repository/dcr-public/538b0256-c152-4c10-b092-7dc05fd55cd7/52d93c1f...

0 Kudos
MaxB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

haha as I started reading this thread my first thought was to use powercli to get further information.

In several cases i received more detailed information than in the Ui. 

robc_yk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Check what host it is running on and make a move attempt on the local host, not through vCenter, so logged into the local host's gui?

0 Kudos
compdigit44
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes that is what I am referring to...

0 Kudos