VMware Cloud Community
wreedMH
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

vCenter VCSA monitoring

What are you guys using to monitor vCenter servers? In particular CPU/Memory/ disk space?    Solarwinds Orion?

Is there anything built into vROPS? Just had a vCenter run out of space, would have been nice to get a notification when it was running low.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
johncol
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Depending on the version you are on, have a look at Williams post here regarding the 6.5 improvements with the restAPI/monitoring etc  https://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2016/11/vcsa-alarm-for-vcdb-space-utilization-in-vsphere-6-5.html

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Regarding what's built into vROps, yes, it does have out-of-the-box alerts for low disk space usage, and these would have saved you. They look inside the guest and so would have found a low disk on any one of the number of disks.

0 Kudos
wreedMH
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

This particular vcenter is being monitored with VROPS 6.7. I am looking thru alerts from yesterday and it didnt trigger a file system low. Hmmm....

We are running a combination of 6.5 and 6.7 vCenters.

On another note, are the Alarm Definitions configurable with Powercli? I have about 20 vCenters I would like to setup SMTP and enable emails for all these vCenter health checks.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Sorry, I should have been more specific. If the vCenter which you're monitoring is a VM which is managed by itself then you should have received a low disk space alarm. If that vCenter VM is not being managed by another vCenter which isn't tied to vROps, then you wouldn't have gotten that alert. vROps sees vCenter as just another VM and applies the same symptom definitions to it as others. There's no (to my knowledge) special "integration" that allows vROps to look into vCenter otherwise from a disk space perspective.

0 Kudos
wreedMH
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Completely understand. These vCenters are VMs in a vCenter that is managed by VROPS. Yet we didnt get the alert. I will investigate more. We are filling a test vcenter up now to see what we can get to trigger.

Any idea on the Powercli for Alarm Definitions in vCenter?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I'm not sure about the PowerCLI alarm definitions, but LucD​ could probably tell you.

0 Kudos
wreedMH
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Any ideas LucD?

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

I just answered your thread in the PowerCLI Community

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos