VMware Cloud Community
MrManiSingh
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter Upgrade Errors - Multiple Fails

Hi All,

I'll start off by saying Hello everyone!

I have a major issue currently with vCenter Upgrade v5.1 to 6.5 (Windows Server).
I will list the steps and issues taken with the what is remaining!

1. On a low level production environment, we have a server 2008 r2 physical box with vcenter 5.1 installed. This needed to be upgraded to version 6.5 so all esxi hosts could be upgraded to 6.5 as well.

a. First, i downloaded vcenter server v6.0.

b. backed up sql jobs and databases of vcenter 5.x

c. ran the autorun as administrator and it went through the pre reqs fine and said to start upgrade after entering the sso password.

d. started uninstalling vcenter 5.x automatically and when it came to installing vcenter 6 - it failed with the below pictures

error.PNGerror1.PNG

e. I searched for a while but could not resolve and most importantly there was no vcenter on the physical server anymore!

f. decided to install vcenter server 6.5

h. started the install - autorun - and it came up showing options to setup as a new intsall so i selected this and it asked for new site name and sso password - entered the details as before

i. vcenter 6.5 installed all the way through and said successful.

j. when loading the url to access the new vcenter (https://vcenter1.domain.co.uk) - it said page could not be displayed - this url was the same as vcenter 5.1

k. i tried the IP address and it would not work - i then tried https://localhost - this loaded but when clicking the flash link - it would go to the original url above and do some sso and fail - blank page

l. installed the vsphere client but could not access - came up with sso errors in the logs

m. the error pointed to SSO - certificate - again after hours trying to resolve - no luck

n. I then ended up following kb articles manually removing all vcenter data from the server (uninstalling all parts from control panel) but i left the sql instances installed.

o. there was no option to remove the SSO

p. i removed all program files / program data folders / registry links that were required to be removed - rebooted server.

I have now removed all folders / instances off the server but i really could do with installing v6.5 server vcenter but how to proceed?

When i installed vcenter 6.5 - although it wasn't working, i tried to manually deregister the server using the following commands but there was no visibal evidence that sso was installed on the server (file directories were not the same - no sso folders - no sso components)

cmsso-util unregister --node-pnid Platform_Services_Controller_System_Name --username administrator@your_domain_name --passwd vCenter_Single_Sign_On_password

cmsso-util unregister --node-pnid vCenter_Server_System_Name --username administrator@your_domain_name --passwd vCenter_Single_Sign_On_password

I was getting errors that it was failing to remove.

I believe i have to recreate the SSO certificates using the cert manager tool but when i try to reset the certificates, it does not accept the SSO password that i used to setup vcenter 6.5 with username administrator@vsphere.local - very strange.

Currently i have

1. Backup of the vcenter 5.1 sql database that i require to import in the new vcenter 6.5

2. removed all vcenter off the physical server including registry links and program data / program files folders

3. rebooted server

4. logged onto our other vcenter (vcsa) but there is no other nodes linking to this https://vcenter1.domain.co.uk vcenter appliance

Going Forwad

1. how do i proceed in succesfully installing vcenter server 6.5 with the same URL as the original vcenter https://vcenter1.domain.co.uk ?

2. how do i force / manually remove the SSO from the server?

I thought of installing server2016 on a hyper v > installing vcenter6.5 server on the hyper v machine and then accessing bash and again running the commands - will this resolve the issue?

All help would be really appreciated.

Thank You

0 Kudos
3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I'd really recommend you migrate this installation to the vCenter Server Appliance (vCSA) rather than trying to upgrade it to Windows. The vCenter on Windows is end of life and will not continue as a platform, so really it makes no sense to perform this type of upgrade. Migrating to the appliance will preserve all the settings and identity of your vCenter, but will move it to a VM and off that physical server instance.

0 Kudos
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello,

You cannot upgrade vcenter 5.1 to 6.5 as per the upgrade compatibility matrix VMware Product Interoperability Matrices

You have to upgrade to a minimum of 5.5 first and then upgrade to 6.5 else as daphnissov​ suggested, upgrade to 6.5 appliance however that also requires minimum 5.5 vcenter

Thanks,

MS

0 Kudos
RAJ_RAJ
Expert
Expert

Hi ,

Direct upgrade is not supported .

Try to do upgrade 5.1 to 5.5 then to 6.5 .

Also make sure you will upgrade your license also , after upgrading to 6.5 you have change the license key .

RAJESH RADHAKRISHNAN VCA -DCV/WM/Cloud,VCP 5 - DCV/DT/CLOUD, ,VCP6-DCV, EMCISA,EMCSA,MCTS,MCPS,BCFA https://ae.linkedin.com/in/rajesh-radhakrishnan-76269335 Mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answered your query!
0 Kudos