VMware Cloud Community
jedrohen
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter Upgrade 5.5 to 6.0 Credential Issue

I'm running vCenter 5.5 in a lab and am testing an upgrade to 6.0. At the first task to enter SSO and vCenter credentials, and I'm getting this error:

There is a problem authenticating into the legacy vCenter Server using the credentials provided by the user.

Resolution: Check if the vCenter server is up and running. Double check provided vCenter Server Credentials.”

The SSO user is administrator@vsphere.local. This account works when logging into vCenter directly. When checking the Events tab in vCenter I see that no matter what user I use in the upgrade, when it is trying to authenticate to vCenter it is appending @127.0.0.1 to the end of the username. In this example it is using administrator@vsphere.local@127.0.0.1 and failing. Same thing with local or domain accounts. I have not had luck when searching on how to fix this. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RajeevVCP4
Expert
Expert

Check if you are using these characters in your password

This is a known issue affecting vCenter Server 5.5 and occurs when the SSO password includes these special characters:

• Non-ASCII characters
  • Ampersand (&)
  • Semicolon  ( ; )
  • Double quotation mark  ( " )
  • Single quotation mark ( ' )
  • Circumflex ( ^ )
  • Backslash ( \ )
  • Space ( )
  • Exclamation mark :smileyalert:
  • Percentage (%)

It will not work if you will use this.

Here is good blog

http://defaultreasoning.com/2015/04/14/how-to-upgrade-vsphere-5-5-to-version-6-0-part-1/

Rajeev Chauhan
VCIX-DCV6.5/VSAN/VXRAIL
Please mark help full or correct if my answer is use full for you
0 Kudos
jedrohen
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Rajeev,

I came across that blog too when researching this error. I do not have any of those characters in the password. Thanks for the input. I still can't figure out how to get past this one.

Regards,

Jesse

0 Kudos
ganeshgv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi j

Error while upgrading from VMware vCenter 5.1 to vCenter 6.0 – There is always something interesting...

Anderson Alves: vCenter Server 6 Upgrade Error - There is a problem authenticating into legacy vCent...

Regards,

Ganesh GV

0 Kudos