VMware Cloud Community
hostvm
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter Update 6.7

Hi,

I have 2 ESXi with 8 virtual machine and when i go to upgrade vcenter server appliance to 6.7 version (I'm on 6.0) the software says me only i can install medium installation with 8vCPU and 28GB RAM (And a lot of GB of HDD), i think tat it's too from me envirorment. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

Moderator edit by wila: Moved post from Skyline discussions to VMware vCenter discussions

0 Kudos
11 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The installer checks the disk space usage on the existing vCenter Server, and filters the possible installation options based on the result.

0 Kudos
Jimmy15
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As per your infrastructure requirement.. I would suggest to opt "Tiny" instead..

regards

regards

PS: Mark kudos or correct answer as appropriate 🙂
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

You can only do that in new installs, ugprades won't let you go down, I had one done recently where we  picked to high of a storage size and now going from 6.7 to 7 my vcenter went from 800GB to 3.2TB because it marked the storage size as extra large.  If you look at 

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.7/com.vmware.vcenter.install.doc/GUID-88571D8A-46E1-464D...

if you had a small in 6.5 you can't do a tiny in an upgrade and you'll be converted to the new requirements. There are options to shrink them, but ask support there are risks, and they generally suggest redeploying a smaller one.

0 Kudos
Jimmy15
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

also please don't include task/events logs etc..

regards

regards

0 Kudos
hostvm
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply.

I can't select another option, medium, big or extrabig.

Can I install medium and then reduce settings? or ... can i install new vcenter server and migrate with other method?

0 Kudos
hostvm
Contributor
Contributor

Any solution?

0 Kudos
Ank_S
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Plz share the output for df -h

0 Kudos
hostvm
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, what is this?

I haven't yet installed the new vcenter

0 Kudos
Ank_S
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

1) What type of installation do we have for VCSA 6.0 (Embedded or External PSC) ?

2) If this is appliance (Not Windows), SSH to the vCenter VM as root and run the command "df -h". Share the output from both the VC and PSC (If external used)

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

You can only pick the options they give you ,more deploy a new on fresh and set it up like its brand new. There is no supported way to shrink it.

0 Kudos
Jimmy15
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

installing vCenter is much simpler than upgrade. go ahead 🙂

regards

0 Kudos