VMware Cloud Community
OwenK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCenter Single Sign-On error

I am running the vCenter Server Appliance version 6.7 and I am using LDAP for authentication. When I first set up vCenter the LDAP authentication was working perfectly fine and continued to do so up until sometime last week. The problem that I am having is that under the users and groups tab when I select my LDAP domain I get the error "A vCenter Single Sign-On service error occurred" and I am unable to see any of the users. However, I am still able to log in to all of the LDAP user accounts without any errors. I am also unable to set permissions on objects by user but I am still able to add the users to groups.

I am using the vCenter Server Appliance version 6.7 running on ESXi version 6.7. I am using Open LDAP for authentication. I have both forward and reverse DNS records set up for both the vCenter server and the LDAP server. I have tried re installing vCenter Server to fix the problem as well as trying a different LDAP server, both of which did not solve the problem.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After checking the log files I was able to determine that the issue was being caused by a user in the LDAP directory that didn't have one of the attributes required.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Srinivasu13
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

delete and re-create the LDAP authentication and use auto detect of LDAP option.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards, Srini
0 Kudos
OwenK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What do you mean when you say to use auto detect of LDAP options?

0 Kudos
OwenK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After checking the log files I was able to determine that the issue was being caused by a user in the LDAP directory that didn't have one of the attributes required.

0 Kudos
NRay
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Found this KB very helpful for the error. Find the KB link below:

"A vCenter Single Sign-On service error occurred" in vCenter Server 6.5/6.7

0 Kudos
andong
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi OwenK,

My vCenter has exactly the same issue, could you please share a little bit more detail about which attribute caused the problem? Thanks a lot for the help!

Best Regards,

Andong

0 Kudos
JaredKeyes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Has anyone else had this issue? It seems to happen with my vCenter sporadically and I'm not sure what OP means by a user not having the correct attributes. Thanks!

0 Kudos