VMware Cloud Community
Pitterling
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter - Single Sign-On: cannot change Users/Groups nor Identity Sources - Administrators group missing

Hi,

I just wanted to change the credentials for one of my Identity Sources. Unfortunately everything is greyed out.

I'm logged in with Administrator@vsphere.local.

Also all icons within "Users and Groups" are greyed out. I'm therefore not able to change anything ...

EDIT: i figured out, that the "Administrators" group is missing within SSO.

Is there any way to restore just the Administrators group? If this group is that important, why is it possible to accidentially remove it?

thx

15 Replies
Atul_gen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can re-create administrators group if it is deleted by mistake.

Why is it possible to delete it ?

Ans: We allow to users to delete any groups, there is no restriction to delete and create groups but permission permits. As you have administrator @vsphere.local user, then you can create same group again.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
Pitterling
Contributor
Contributor

Thats the point. I'm not able to create any group. The button is greyed out.

pastedImage_0.png

How is it possible to recreate the group if the WebClient is not able to do that?

0 Kudos
Atul_gen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yes you are right even i too observed this issue. Now there is only one solution for this problem. You can restore administrators group through data base. Here we are using lotus data base you can access it using any ldap tools or vmdir directory console login to your SSO machine through ldap tools or vmdir -->go to Buliten-->Edit the Administrators with correct attribute if it is not there then add the same. I will let you know the further help.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
Pitterling
Contributor
Contributor

any news on that? I tried to find some information regarding vmdir, but couldn't find any information regarding "Edit the Adminstrators" nor any other helpful information.

Please advise how to fix that. Thx.

0 Kudos
Atul_gen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry for late reply i well get back to you soon.

0 Kudos
daniel46220
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I got the same problem! There are any update here, how I can rebuild the Admin Group!!!!

0 Kudos
Pitterling
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Atul_gen,

almost 2 weeks passed by without any update. Could you please specify what needs to be done in order to get this problem solved?

Thanks in advance,

Peter

0 Kudos
Atul_gen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry peter for delay respond. This is an issue and not able to find workaround.

0 Kudos
Pitterling
Contributor
Contributor

So what do you recommend? If i just install SingleSignOn again, will it fix it?

0 Kudos
Atul_gen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think they will fix this issue  in future release.

0 Kudos
Pitterling
Contributor
Contributor

Can't wait to the next release. What can i do now?

0 Kudos
Atul_gen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I will get the workaround for this, please spare some more time.

0 Kudos
Pitterling
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Atul_gen,

again, one week is over without any progress ... Please any input, proposal, workaround whould be much appreciated.

Thanks, Peter

0 Kudos
Atul_gen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry Peter i tried hard to get workaround but could not get. I think there is no workaround for that.

Thanks,

Atul

0 Kudos
Pitterling
Contributor
Contributor

Finally i reinstalled the SSO component, by uninstalling and installing again.

After that i had to repoint the Inventory Service and the vCenter Server, like described in this KB.

Re-pointing and re-registering VMware vCenter Server 5.1 / 5.5 and components

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2033620

Best Regards,

Peter