VMware Cloud Community
MC1903
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter Server v7.x SNMP Alarms not received by external NMS

Hi,

I am facing an issue identical to KB67810 with vCenter Server 7.0 U1a Build 17005016, when trying to send vCenter Server Alarms via SNMPv3 to my external network monitoring system (NMS).

The KB covers vCenter Server v6.5/v6.7, but states that the issue is resolved for vCenter Server 7.x; however I do not receive any SNMP traps on the NMS when the Alarms are triggered.

I have successfully configured SNMPv3 on the VCSA and I do receive the SNMPv3 warmstart trap on the NMS when I run the "snmp.test" shell command.

The KB states that the vCenter SNMP receiver #1 should be enabled and set to 127.0.0.1 on port 162 for the 'public' community; this I have checked (it's the default anyway), but I cannot see any process listening ON port 162 when I check with "netstat -tulpn | grep :162" from the VCSA command line.

Should I see the "vmwspp" service running in vCenter Server v7.x? If not, which service/process should be listening on port 162?

I cannot open a SR as this is a lab environment and I don't have a contract/entitlement.

Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

M

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MC1903
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Upgrading to v7.0 U2 Build 17694817 made no difference.

As this vCenter Server is a test instance, I installed the package from the KB on it. Lo and behold, the SNMP alarms are now being received on my NMS.

As it stands today KB67810 is wrong to assert the resolution "This issue has been resolved in vCenter 7.x." as it clearly has not! Perhaps when it IS fixed, the KB could be updated to be more specific on the v7.x  build number that it IS fixed in.

I have no idea how installing this v6.5/v6.7 package on v7.x will effect stability / support / future upgrades. If you need this feature, open a SR with GSS for advice before doing this in Production.

M

0 Kudos