VMware Cloud Community
new_nide
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCenter Server for Essentials

Hi,

I have an environment with 3 sites, each site running vcenter essentials plus 6.5 with 1 instance of vcenter server for essentials each. Now we wanted to make use of vsphere replication feature in vsphere essential plus so that we can replicate VMs from 2 sites (1 host -2 CPU each) to 1 site (production- 3 hosts- 6CPU).

Question:

Will vsphere replication work based on the above situation, since vcenter server for essentials can only manage 3 hosts maximum

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Your hosts and vCenter Servers meet the license requirements, the bottom example here shows what you need to setup: How vSphere Replication Works

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No, you need Essentials Plus to use vSphere Replication.

0 Kudos
new_nide
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks daphnissov,

Yes all sites are Essential Plus as stated earlier.

What I am asking is if I would be able to use vsphere replication across all the 3 sites knowing that vcenter server for Essentials can only manage 3 hosts.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This should help: vSphere Replication Licensing

Do the 2 single host sites have their own vCenter Servers, or are they just standalone hosts?

If the latter, and you want your production site vCenter Server to also now manage those standalone hosts, you will need to upgrade the license to vCenter Server Standard.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
new_nide
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks scott28tt

Yes the 2 single host sites have their own vcenter server for essentials. So can I configure vsphere replication across all sites?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Your hosts and vCenter Servers meet the license requirements, the bottom example here shows what you need to setup: How vSphere Replication Works

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you said "essentials plus" in your first post (which I now see) earlier, then I clearly missed that, so apologies. I think Scott is pointing you in the right direction here.

0 Kudos
new_nide
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks scott28tt,

That answers the question and this link as well: Configure vSphere Replication Connections

Thanks.

0 Kudos