VMware Cloud Community
mnaitvpro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCenter Server Virtual Appliance Evaluation..

Dear Gentlemen,

Am using a free  VMware vSphere ESXi v5.0 hypervisor in test environment, also another Free ESXi v4.1 hypervisor,

1. Can i use vCSVA to manage both during evaluation period.

2. After evaluation period of vCSVA what will happen?, can i continue to manage hypervisor individually again using vSphere Client..?

Kindly help, although its the test environment, but equally importance since the VMs on these servers are used as staging enviroment before deploying/modifying the production application servers.

thanks

regards

Nawaz (VCP5-DCV#147165)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

In some previous versions it was possible to add hosts with a free Hypervisor license to a vCenter Server in evaluation mode. However, IMO this was probably more a bug than a feature. If your two hosts are still in the evaluation period (60 days) you can reset them to evaluation (i.e. unassigning the license and selecting evaluation). If this is not the case you may contact a VMware representative or your VMware reseller and ask them for evaluation licenses.

Once you finished evaluation, removed the hosts from the vCenter Server and disabled all advanced features which are not part of the free edition, you should be able to re-assign the free license.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

In some previous versions it was possible to add hosts with a free Hypervisor license to a vCenter Server in evaluation mode. However, IMO this was probably more a bug than a feature. If your two hosts are still in the evaluation period (60 days) you can reset them to evaluation (i.e. unassigning the license and selecting evaluation). If this is not the case you may contact a VMware representative or your VMware reseller and ask them for evaluation licenses.

Once you finished evaluation, removed the hosts from the vCenter Server and disabled all advanced features which are not part of the free edition, you should be able to re-assign the free license.

André

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes you can use vCSVA to manage hosts in evaluation mode. After the evaluation mode is over, the VMs wont be able to use the licensed features of the ESXi host

Atul_gen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If VC is in evaluation mode then this VC can manage the hosts which are assigned free license hypervisor edition but once eval of vc is over then you can not use these hosts anymore in the same VC. Remove the hosts from VC and connect individual host through vsphere client,It will always work, there is no restriction but very minimal features  would be enabled like (VM power ops,max Physical RAM 32 GB for a host).

Please let me know if you have any other doubts.

Thanks,

Atul 

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.