VMware Cloud Community
gutschialpha
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter Server Service stops with VmRoot Error Panic! in vpxd.log

Hello,

I have a problem with a vCenter Server. The service didn't start anymore since yesterday. Vpxd.log shows only Unrecoverable VmRootError Panic!

I updated the vCenter Server from Version 5.5b to 5.5 U1 but the error didn't disappear.

After this I replayed the backup from saturday. The error still exist.

In addition a vCloud Director Version 5.5 is installed in this environment.

This appears in the application log at every restart of the VMware VirtualCenter Server:

An unrecoverable problem has occurred, stopping the VMware VirtualCenter service. Error: Error[VdbError] (-1) "ODBC error: (22001) - [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0][SQL Server]String or binary data would be truncated." is returned when executing SQL statement "update VPX_VIRTUAL_DEVICE WITH (ROWLOCK) set DEVICE_INFO_SUMMARY = ? where ID = ? and DEVICE_KEY = ?"

best regards

Ralph

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jeank201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there,

we have exact the same konstellation and issue.

The issue started on on April 23th.

Our vpxd Service crashes every 5 Minutes.

Regards

Jean

0 Kudos
gutschialpha
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I've started to install a new vCenter Server and vCloud Director database. It seems one vm was responsible for the error. Some settings change of the vcloud director caused the issue but I can't find the right vm.

Our cloud had to run.and I removed all "test" vm. I going to create a new vcloud database. All old vms are a mess now.

I think you should start a SR.

regards

Ralph

0 Kudos