VMware Cloud Community
jbaird
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCenter Server Essentials

I'm confused on what the "Essentials Kit" licensing gives me for vCenter Server.  Does it allow me to run vCenter Server (single sign on, web client, server) on a dedicated physical server outside of the three ESXI hosts that are included with the Kit?  The 60day free trial is super confusing because it unlocks EVERYTHING, and doesn't really specify what I will be left with once I apply Essentials-only keys.  I would rather not waste resources on my three ESXI hosts since I have a spare physical server that can host the vCenter Server just fine.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The option for deploying vCenter Server are the same as for all other editions. You can use the vCenter Server Appliance or the Windows based vCenter Server, which you can install on either a virtual or a physical Windows server system.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The option for deploying vCenter Server are the same as for all other editions. You can use the vCenter Server Appliance or the Windows based vCenter Server, which you can install on either a virtual or a physical Windows server system.

André

0 Kudos
jbaird
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick answer.  Are there any obvious downfalls for running a separate vCenter server?  Since I'm using Essentials, I don't have vMmotion or HA, so the vSphere instance wouldn't have HA if it was a VM anyways.  If my physical vCenter server dies, the ESXI hosts will still continue to run smoothly and can be managed by using the vSphere client to connect directly to the hosts, correct?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The only downside in this case is that you need additional hardware, power and cooling. However, you also have a benefit in this case . Running vCenter Server on a dedicated host will allow you to use Update Manager to patch your host(s), which wouldn' be possible for the ESXi host on which vCenter Server (Update Manager) is running.

And yes, you are correct. Unless you enable "Locked Mode" for the ESXi host(s) you can still manage them by directly connecting the vSphere Client to the host(s).

André

0 Kudos