VMware Cloud Community
Stippi
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter Server Appliance reachable from VM only

Hi everybody,

I've got an interesting error. My vCenter Server Appliance is only available through a virtual machine, which is running on the ESXi. The ESXi itself is reachable from any computer of my network. But not the vCenter Server Application. How can I find this problem? Which parts do I have to check?

Many thanks in advance!

Kind regards

0 Kudos
7 Replies
PCTechStream
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

TRY THIS!

If you can not connect to vCenter Server:

How are you trying to connect?

Any error?

Log files?

Snapshots?

Reboot vCenter, like any software it can have it's bad days.

Raul.

VMware VDI Administrator.

http://ITCloudStream.com/

Stay Connected :smileyplus: Don't forget to:

Like > Share > Comment > Reply > Helpful > Answered

www.ITSA.Cloud
0 Kudos
Stippi
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Raul! Thanks for your answer!

Well, I try to connect by the browser or with ssh, even I can't ping this machine!

There is one error, when I try to create a new vm and want to download it with the url given by the manufacturer, it fails.

It seems to be a dns error, but I really dont know. I am not using snapshots, a reboot of the vCenter was not a solution. Where can I look for the Log files of the vCenter?

Kind regards

0 Kudos
PCTechStream
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The machine out of vSphere that you're using to connect to vCenter is located in a different segment or IP SubNet? Also, disable the firewall on that machine & try to ping the vCenter IP or FQDN then 

Open a Web browser and enter the URL for the vSphere Web Client:

https://client-hostname:port/vsphere-client

By default the port is 9443

Become an Expert on vCenter Server appliance Log File Location in 120 seconds

LINK: Become an Expert on vCenter Server appliance Log File Location in 120 seconds

Raul.

VMware VDI Administrator.

http://ITCloudStream.com/

Stay Connected :smileyplus: Don't forget to:

Like > Share > Comment > Reply > Helpful > Answered

www.ITSA.Cloud
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

To me this sounds like a network configuration issue, where either:

• the vCSA IP settings (subnet mask, default gateway) are not set as they should be
  • the physical switch port configuration for one or more of the host's uplinks needs to be double-checked

André

0 Kudos
Stippi
Contributor
Contributor

Hey André,

thanks for your answer! I've got the same thought, but I can not comprehend the reason. Every VM inclusive the ESXi is able to reach by my client. Only the vCSA with the same network configuration has this troubles. Subnet mask and gateway are the same like all the machines in the network.

There is no specific error in the log, which can indicate whats wrong.

Last thing I have to check is the physical switch.. but it makes no sense with the other VMs which are rechable..

Kind regards

0 Kudos
Stippi
Contributor
Contributor

So, I checked the physical switch. Everything is fine with it. Even when I am directly connected to the ESXi, I can't ping the vCSA. Every other VM is able to ping. I cant even check for updates on the vCSA, but the network configuration is fine. I will reconfigure it and try again.

0 Kudos
Stippi
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I rechecked the network configuration and restarted it again. The appliance received a new name, which I can't explain to me. At the configuration, I choose a different name. It is still not reachable from a client from my network, only from the ESXi host and the VM's on the ESXi. Is there anybody outside, who can explain to me, why this appliance is doing these things like this?
Would really appreciate your help!
Thanks in advance!

Kind regards

0 Kudos