VMware Cloud Community
psjoholm
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter Server Appliance - Logging in with an account from another domain in forest not working

Hello All,

I have promoted the vCenter Server Appliance, 5.1.0, 799731 and successfully joined it to our domain.

We have a forest, that consists of two domains, domain1.forest.com and domain2.forest.com. There is a 2 way trust between the 2 domains and authentication works. For example, domain2\esxuser, who is a member of domain1\administrators, is able to log into any windows server in domain1.

So, I set up the following:

1. I added domain1\administrator account to the adminstrator role in the vCenter Server Applicance Permissions tab
  2. I created a Universal Security group, in domain1.forest.com, called "domain1\ESX Admins".
  3. I added domain2\esxuser to domain1\ESX Admins
  4. I added "domain1\ESX Admins" to the adminstrator role in the vCenter Server Applicance Permissions tab

I am logged into a Windows 7 PC, with the domain2\esxuser account, and when I tried the "Use Windows session credentials", I get the following error:

"A general system error occurred: Authorize Exception"

Wen I try to log in with domain2\esxuser and password, without checking the "Use Windows session credentials" I get an error:

"Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password"

If I try and log in with domain1\administrator and the password, I can log in fine.

It's almost as if it cannot read my domain2 accounts from AD.

Any one have any ideas on this? Is there a limitation on reading the group information for users from domain2?

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: Also, just wanted to throw it out there, I have another vCenter server, that is running on a Windows Server 2003 instead of the Linux appliance, and that one has no issues with authentication with domain2\esxuser. It is configured the same way, just that it's running on a Windows server...

Message was edited by: psjoholm

0 Kudos
0 Replies