VMware Cloud Community
elgreco81
Expert
Expert

vCenter Server Appliance - Log Browser Certificate problem

Hi,

As stated in the release notes for the last version

http://www.vmware.com/support/vsphere5/doc/vsphere-vcenter-server-510a-release-notes.html

I ran into the problem described by the note:

• Updated When you click Log Browser in the vSphere Web Client, an Unauthorized Access error appears
    When you click the Log Browser link in the vSphere Web Client, an error message appears: Exception: https://<system-address>:12443/vmwb/logbrowser: Unauthorized access.This error occurs after you replace the default vCenter Single Sign On server's SSL certificate, either directly or by regenerating the certificate in the vCenter Server Appliance.

I tried following the kb 2037927 but I'm just not able to make it work. I also think to have seen almost every article out there but I'm still not able to find the solution.

Following the official solution, this is what happens to me.

First error is when trying to do this:

openssl pkcs12 -export -in rui.crt -inkey rui.key -certfile carootcert.cer -name "rui" -passout pass:testpassword -out rui.pfx

kb doesn't say where rui.crt is located, no "locate" command but I managed to find it any way under /etc/vmware-vpx/ssl. After running the command, I receive this error:

Error opening certificates from certfile carootcert.cer
    3988:error:02001002:system library:fopen:No such file or directory:bss_file.c:356:fopen('carootcert.cer','r')
    3988:error:20074002:BIO routines:FILE_CTRL:system lib:bss_file.c:358:
    unable to load certificates
    I guess the rest is caused by this first setp error...any recomendation?
    Thanks,
    elgreco81         
  • Please remember to mark as answered this question if you think it is and to reward the persons who helped you giving them the available points accordingly. IT blog in Spanish - http://chubascos.wordpress.com
    0 Kudos
    7 Replies
    Nemo7777
    Enthusiast
    Enthusiast

Same problem... Does anyone has complete resolution list of steps?

0 Kudos
    raog
    Expert
    Expert

I think the location would be /usr/lib/vmware-logbrowser/conf and instead of using carootcert.cer in the above command, it would be rui-ca-cert.pem(This is assuming you have generated self signed certs). If these are custom certs, you can try copying the root cert to this location and trying out the command.

Regards

Girish

To Virtualization and beyond! PS::If you felt the answer as helpful, please mark it as helpful/answered so that it helps other users as well! Blog:: www.virtualtipsntricks.com
    0 Kudos
    Nemo7777
    Enthusiast
    Enthusiast

Hi! Yes  it's possible to use cacert.pem file from ...logbrowser/conf/ directory and final rui.jks file will be added successfully, but the initial problem will stay...

0 Kudos
    raog
    Expert
    Expert

Did you restart the vmware-logbrowser and the vsphere-client services?

Regards

Girish

To Virtualization and beyond! PS::If you felt the answer as helpful, please mark it as helpful/answered so that it helps other users as well! Blog:: www.virtualtipsntricks.com
    0 Kudos
    Nemo7777
    Enthusiast
    Enthusiast

Of course. Once the new chain was accepted the message appeared, which suggested to restart services . I restart all services as  it described in 2037927

0 Kudos
    raog
    Expert
    Expert

Hmm...in your logbrowser.properties file, what is the value for this entry "sso-certs"?

Try pointing it to the SSO cert located in /etc/ssl/certs/Embedded-SSO-Server-Root-CA.pem

So now it should be:

sso-certs=/etc/ssl/certs/Embedded-SSO-Server-Root-CA.pem

and then restart logbrowser service.

Regards

Girish

0 Kudos
    Nemo7777
    Enthusiast
    Enthusiast

Hi! In my case vCenter  is not appliance, so now I have this in 'logbrowser.properties':

'sso-certs=%PROGRAMDATA%/VMware/SSL/ca_certificates.crt'

looks like you've suggested something like this or not?

0 Kudos