VMware Cloud Community
Mukz9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter Server 6.5 installation error - Login failed for user 'VCAdmin'. Reason: Could not find a login matching the name provided. Error 18456, Severity 14, State 5

Hi,

I am trying to install vCenter Server 6.5 on Windows Server 2008 R2 server. As I intend to use an external SQL database (SQL Server 2012) for vCenter Server inventory, I have a created a System DSN on the Windows Server 2008 R2 server, which will host the vCenter Server 6.5. The SQL server 2012 is running on a separate server, however both SQL server and the server which will host vCenter 6.5 are part of the same domain and can ping each other.

During the installation process, the installation Wizard throws the below error at the stage where external database credentials are entered.

Error encountered while validating external database credentials. Check your settings and try again.

SQL State : 28000

Error : 18456

[SQL Server native client 11.0] [SQL Server] Login failed for user 'VCAdmin'

At the same time, below error is logged in the vCenter Server installation log file - vminst.log

2017-05-14 00:37:22.564-07:00| vcsInstUtil-4944578| E: DatabaseLoginAndSanityChecks: Unable to connect to DSN 'vCenter'

And below error is logged in the SQL Server logs

Login failed for user 'VCAdmin'. Reason: Could not find a login matching the name provided. Error 18456, Severity 14, State 5

I have already ensured on the following prerequisites

1. The Login 'VCAdmin' is created on the SQL Server, under the Security, Login options of the SQL Management Studio

2. The Login 'VCAdmin' has dbowner and public role mapped for both vCenter database and msdb database

3. Under Securables, the 'VCAdmin' Login has been granted 'Connect SQL' permission via an sa Login user. 

4. Under Server roles, the 'VCAdmin' Login has sysadmin server role mapped to it

5. On the server running SQL Server 2012, under the Windows firewall settings, the SQL Server Windows NT 64 bit program is added as one of the allowed programs and features with 'domain' option enabled.

6. In the SQL Management studio, under the security properties of the SQL server, the SQL server and Windows Authentication mode is enabled.

7. The SQL Native client version is 11.0 (Version 2011.110.2100.60), which I believe is an appropriate client for connecting to SQL Server 2012 database

I have gone through the relevant KB articles and links, but unable to find any solution. Can someone please assist with this issue?

Thanks,

Muks

0 Kudos
0 Replies