VMware Cloud Community
ITVisionIT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter Server 5.5 Update 2 to Update 3 Linked-Mode Procedures

Hello,

I am trying to recall the procedure when updating vCenter while in linked-Mode.  I have 4 vCenter servers running Update 2 and I would like to update them to Update 3.  Do I need to remove them from linked-Mode before updating or can I leave them in Link-Mode and run the update on each of the vCenter servers in the following order:

1. Upgrade vCenter Single Sign-On.

2. Upgrade vSphere Web Client.

3. Upgrade vCenter Inventory Service.

4. Upgrade vCenter Server.

Also, do I need to update one of the vCenter servers before the other?

Any info regarding this process is greatly appreciated.

Thank You

6 Replies
ShaneIRL
Contributor
Contributor

Hi There, just planning to do a similar update with 2 Sites and 2 VCs in linked mode with SSO replication only. All components are separated to different servers (not simple install). I am wondering if you should do 1 site at a time or do each component from both sites at the same time. e.g. Update Site 1. SSO, Update Site 2. SSO, Update Site 1 Inventory, Update Site 2 Inventory and so on..

Did you manage to get your 4 sites updated successfully?

0 Kudos
vHaridas
Expert
Expert

Hi,

You can update all vCenter components at any one and then you can update second sites all vCenter server.

Linked mode will keep running post update.

Thanks

Haridas

Please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" replies. Thanks....!!! https://vprhlabs.blogspot.in/
ShaneIRL
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Haridas, I presume there is nothing special to be done to update SSO? - 2 sites are SSO linked also

0 Kudos
vHaridas
Expert
Expert

That's correct. Follow the service upgrade sequence like SSO server,... And then vCenter server and next sites SSO....then vCenter server.

As backup plan always take  all vcenter server component VM snapshots and vCenter db backup before upgrade.

Thanks,

Haridas

Please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" replies. Thanks....!!! https://vprhlabs.blogspot.in/
ShaneIRL
Contributor
Contributor

thanks a million Haridas!

0 Kudos
GLtaAU
Contributor
Contributor

How did your upgrades go? I'm about to do the same, and was wondering about the sequence that I need to do things in? Do I need to unlink each vCenter server from linked mode? Or can they stay in linked mode? Any specific questions that were asking during the upgrade process around the SSO components?

Thanks

0 Kudos