VMware Cloud Community
tpgKobusBensch
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter SSL Certificates

Hi

I recently tried to replace our certificates on vCenter 5.5.0 Build 2183111. I had a problem where it would not allow me to update the certificate. Turns out it did no like the comma in the password. Once replaced with a % sign on to the next problem. On previous versions of vCenter, I was able to use a wildcard cert. Turns out that with the build I recently updated do, i.e. vCenter 5.5.0 Build 2183111, you need to have 7 certificates to satisfy the rules. Question I have is, can i use the same 7 certificates on more than one vcenter installation, or do I really have to buy 14 SSL certificates for our vCenter installations across 2 datacentres?

Thanks in advance.

Kobus

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ExpletiveDelete
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

technically - nope. The CA grants the certs to the individual server - if they are connected to the same Cert Authority and that CA goes to verify that a certificate was granted to vCenter1, and now vCenter2 is trying to use it, then you have an issue.

You can always just setup an Microsoft CA , that doesn't cost you much beyond the OS license.

\ I hate SSL with a passion.

Sateesh_vCloud

If you are intersted to use tool:

VMware KB: Deploying and using the SSL Certificate Automation Tool 1.0.x

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Follow me @ www.vmwareguruz.com Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful T. Sateesh VCIX-NV, VCAP 5-DCA/DCD,VCP 6-NV,VCP 5 DCV/Cloud/DT, ZCP IBM India Pvt. Ltd
0 Kudos
tpgKobusBensch
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I have been using this.

Thanks

0 Kudos