VMware Cloud Community
Akopylov
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

vCenter PNIS, Unique ID and FQDN

Hello there.

As far as I know, PNID is still (for 6.7u1 too) the thing, that could not be changed, as well as the FQDN (well, if FQDN was used during deployment of vCenter, then PNID = FQDN). But then what I can change in configuration -> runtime settings?

pastedImage_0.png

I guess "vCenter Server unique ID" is some ID that identifies vCenter within SSO-domain. Okay.

vCenter Server managed address??? Documentation says:

In vCenter Server managed address, enter the vCenter Server system address.

The address can be IPv4, IPv6, a fully qualified domain name, an IP address, or another address format.

What the hell? If I want to change the IP, then I would do it via appliance settings (5480). If I want to change "a fully qualified domain name", then... I can't do it.

vCenter Server name??? Documentation says:

In vCenter Server name, enter the name of the vCenter Server system.

If you change the DNS name of the vCenter Server, you can use this text box to modify the vCenter Server name to match.

Again, what the hell?

What are these settings about?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The main purpose of the vCenter Server unique ID is to have a difference for ppl with multible vCenter it their environments. The ID is used for  MAC calculation if the vNICs when you use the default "Auto" settings. Having same MACs in VMs in an environment is nothing what you like to have Smiley Wink

Dunno how it effects vCenter Link Mode.

About the other to settings. I never understood why they left the IP addess field unpoplulated. Both settings can be used from VMs/VAs durings startup to find and to identidy the vCenter. I have seen VAs which automaticly find the vCenter.

Regards,

Joerg

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That setting is what the vpxa agent uses to find vCenter and is primarily used for multi-homed vCenter (one with multiple NICs) so there is still communication to the correct network. No, you cannot change vCenter's hostname once deployed, nor should you try.

IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The main purpose of the vCenter Server unique ID is to have a difference for ppl with multible vCenter it their environments. The ID is used for  MAC calculation if the vNICs when you use the default "Auto" settings. Having same MACs in VMs in an environment is nothing what you like to have Smiley Wink

Dunno how it effects vCenter Link Mode.

About the other to settings. I never understood why they left the IP addess field unpoplulated. Both settings can be used from VMs/VAs durings startup to find and to identidy the vCenter. I have seen VAs which automaticly find the vCenter.

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos