VMware Cloud Community
vinod_sikka
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter Migration from 5.5 to vsphere 6

Hi,

We will migrate everything from VC 5.5 U2 (running over win2k8r2) to VC 6.0 (would run over w2k12r2). The inventory snapshot fling is not supported for the same. What is the best way to migrate permissions, alarms, all datacenter objects including all rules set under cluster, inherited permissions etc. over to the new built vsphere VC 6.0 running on 2012r2 VM?

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Tags (5)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
akodenkiri
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You can first perform Windows OS upgrade from win2k8r2 to w2k12r2. Then go for vCenter server upgrade from VC 5.5 U2 to VC 6.0.

Regards

---------------------------------------------------------------- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards ak
0 Kudos
lvaibhavt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Did you check

VMware KB: Restoring and copying vCenter Server alarms

vCenter PowerCLI Migration Script | Technodrone

PLease test these scripts in a lab then try them on the production

vinod_sikka
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Looks promising, I will test it out and see the outcome !

Thanks a lot for your help !

0 Kudos
vinod_sikka
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Apparently, We have both vCenter running, one with 5.5 U1 running on windows 2008r2 and other one is vpshere 6 running on windows 2012r2, And we are planning to migrate folders / permissions / alarms / HA /DRS rules/ hosts / VMs everything from 5.5 to the other vcenter running in parallel on 2012r2.

thanks,

0 Kudos
mkaser
Contributor
Contributor

Just curious how you ended up doing this. We are also planning a clean 6.0 installation. It appears that the only way to avoid a manual migration process of VM's one by one is to upgrade the existing configuration to 6 so that we can take advantage of the new cross vCenter vMotion features. I really wish VMware had allowed some type of backward compatibility from the new 6.0 install to bring over the VM's.

0 Kudos
NZiT
Contributor
Contributor

We are planning the same migration, and I'm looking for some useful info on the vcenter vmotion feature.

Just trying to find out if I have an existing VCenter Server and then upgrade that to join to the Platform services Controller on the new blank VCenter, will that take the info from the existing and import it or will it overwrite the existing one with a blank config?

Surely it shouldnt be this difficult to move to a new OS and VCenter inside the same environment?

0 Kudos