VMware Cloud Community
Spectrum1981
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter Linkes Mode Inventory Search

Hello guys!

I just linked 3 vCenter Server and everything worked fine. When i start the vSphere Client direcly on a vCenter Server and try to search for an esx Server or something else the search result will give me results about all 3 vCenters.

But when i connect from my vSphere Client from my Laptop i can see all 3 vCenter Server but the search results are only from the vCenter with i am connected. So i have no global search function.

Can somebody help me?

Thanks.

Rainer

0 Kudos
7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Does VI-client was logged in through DOMAIN user or local user, if it is a local user, it gets the results of VC specific to local user only.

0 Kudos
Spectrum1981
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I logged in whith my domain user. The user have administartion rights to all vCenter Server.

0 Kudos
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Are you connected to the same vCenter through vSphere client on which global search working locally? Try if not, may be a vCenter instance specific issue.

0 Kudos
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

whats the version of vCenters?

Are all these vCenters are same versions?

vSphere client misbehaves when the Linked mode groups have different versions of vCenters. See this.

vSphere Documentation Center

Note

Linked Mode groups that contain both vCenter Server 5.0 and earlier versions of vCenter Server are not supported. The vSphere Client does not function correctly with vCenter Servers in groups that have both version 5.0 and earlier versions of vCenter Server. Do not join a version 5.0 vCenter Server to earlier versions of vCenter Server, or an earlier version of vCenter Server to a version 5.0 vCenter Server. Upgrade any vCenter Server instance to version 5.0 before joining it to a version 5.0 vCenter Server.

0 Kudos
Spectrum1981
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi!

No, all 3 vCenter Server have Version 5.0.0 Build 913577.

Do i need any Firewall Ports?

Rainer

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

If connected to each vCenter Server, do you see the same issue on all 3?

The needed ports for vCenter linked mode can be found in http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2052977

0 Kudos
Spectrum1981
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, i have the same issue on all 3 vCenters Server. It´s only workling working when i take the vSphere Client directly on the vCenter Server.

The following Ports are open:

Between the 3 vCenter Server any and from my Notebook to each vCenter:

Any idea?

Rainer

0 Kudos