VMware Cloud Community
cjones0123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCenter Licensing Question

We currently are running vSphere 5 environment with a vCenter 5 server (using the VCSA).  My vSphere ESXi licenses are eligible to upgrade to vSphere 6, but my vCenter license is not.  After further review, we saw that the SnS support contact on our vCenter license had expired back in January 2015, so we went ahead and got that renewed with back support.  My question is, now that we have renewed the support will we be eligible to upgrade that vCenter 5 license to a vCenter 6 license or will we have to purchase a new new vCenter 6 license?  I've checked my VMware license portal and it shows that we have support on the vCenter license until 2018, but I am not seeing any upgrade options on it.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

afaik all licenses which are covered (or were covered at the time a new version was released) by an active subscription can be upgraded. When you select "Upgrade License Keys" from the "I want to" drop-down menu,you should be able to select and upgrade your vCenter Server license.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

afaik all licenses which are covered (or were covered at the time a new version was released) by an active subscription can be upgraded. When you select "Upgrade License Keys" from the "I want to" drop-down menu,you should be able to select and upgrade your vCenter Server license.

André

0 Kudos