VMware Cloud Community
lorenze89
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter License Updaet

Hello,

We recently upgrade our vcenter and esxi host to version 6.0u1 for vcenter  and 6.0 for our ESXi host. I noticed that it  became a trial version  after upgrading.  Do I need to update vcenter license even I still have host that are not upgraded or should I wait until all my host gets upgraded to  version 6.0? Sorry for the beginners question any good document that outlines the process to  install the new license key to vcenter?

Thanks,

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
diegodco31
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

You can add license key.

How to Assign License Key to vCenter Server:

vSphere 6.5 - How to Assign License Key to vCenter Server - VMWare Insight

Same process to vcenter 6 and 6.5.

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you think your question have been answered correctly.

Diego Oliveira
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dcodiego
jvalentine
Contributor
Contributor

I am assuming that you are coming up from a 5.x version?

If you will complete the upgrade of all hosts before the expiration of the trial , then it is not a problem to upgrade all of your license keys in the MyVmware portal.

If you have 3 hosts out 5 completed and you know that you cannot complete the upgrade... then you may need to Divide the existing key (if it is combined) so that you can upgrade a portion of the CPUs.

pastedImage_0.png

Login to MyVmware.com and select Manage License keys. You have the option to Upgrade , Divide , Combine or Downgrade... which should be useful in your situation.

If you need assistance I would also recommend opening a ticket with the "Product Licensing or Account" team to clarify any issues you may have applying the keys before the expiration of the Trial.

Thank You, Jason Valentine