VMware Cloud Community
likeahoss
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter High Availability

@rlakey , @bplankers:

I'm securing the /boot/grub2/grub.cfg file per: Vul ID: PHTN-30-000031

As far as I'm able to determine this far in my dev/test, the /boot/grub2/grub.cfg file does not replicate during the vCenter HA failover process.  Can you please assist or provide a workaround?

Looking to find out which configuration files are replicated between the Active and Passive nodes?  So far I can't find this information documented.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

vSphere HA does not replicate things, but restart VMs on other hosts in case of a host failure. In order for this to work, the VMs need to be located on shared storage.

André

0 Kudos
Ajay1988
Expert
Expert

vCHA (vCenter High Availability) uses 2 types of replication: File level replication using rsync and Database replication using postgres native method.

See page 3-4 https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/techpaper/vcha65-perf.pdf

If you think your queries have been answered
Mark this response as "Correct" or "Helpful".

Regards,
AJ
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

@Ajay1988 : Good catch. Thanks for jumping in.
I though of vSphere HA instead of vCenter HA, which the question is about. Sorry.

André

0 Kudos
Ajay1988
Expert
Expert

@a_p_ No problem,. You are welcome

If you think your queries have been answered
Mark this response as "Correct" or "Helpful".

Regards,
AJ
0 Kudos
likeahoss
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@rlakey , @bplankers:

I'm securing the /boot/grub2/grub.cfg file per: Vul ID: PHTN-30-000031

As far as I'm able to determine this far in my dev/test, the /boot/grub2/grub.cfg file does not replicate during the vCenter HA failover process.  Can you please assist or provide a workaround?

@Ajay1988, I understand what you're getting at in the following excerpt from the vCSA 6.5 performance study.  

A vCenter Server appliance is stateful and requires a strong, consistent state for it to work correctly. The 
appliance state (configuration state or runtime state) is mainly composed of:

• Database data (stored in the embedded PostgreSQL database)
• Flat files (for example, configuration files). Exactly which configuration files are replicated?

The appliance state must be backed up in order for VCHA failover to work properly. For the state to be stored
inside the PostgreSQL database, we use the PostgreSQL native replication mechanism to keep the database
data of the primary and secondary in sync. For flat files, a Linux native solution, rsync, is used for replication.
Because the vCenter Server appliance requires strong consistency, it is a strong requirement to utilize a
synchronous form of replication to replicate the appliance state from the Active node to the Passive node.