VMware Cloud Community
xorxeli
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter (HA) + ESXi Host

Hello,

I`m interrested in how I can create vmware cluster (HA)

As I know I need vCenter  + VSAN.

Now I have one server with ESXi 6 and on this server runs 10 virtual servers .

Now I`m going to buy second server and I need HA.

As I guess I need to install vCenter on this servers and make VSAN .

But how I can migrate that 10 servers which is installed on first server ?

Thanks.

6 Replies
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

since you are mentioning that you have one ESXi host already in place, and you are planning to buy one more host.

if you want vSphere HA, you got to fulfill following requirements.

1) vSphere Essentials Plus or higher license

2) vCenter instance license (in the case of Essentials plus, this will be part of package)

3) Shared Storage (SAN/NAS or VMware Virtual SAN)

Please refer following gudie for more details.

https://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-60/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-60-availa...

as point no. 3) above is telling that you need shared storage, and as I have mentioned that it can be achived using your existing SAN or NAS system if there's one in use or VMware VSAN could also be a good choice for this. if your first host is holding all 10 VMs in it's local storage, all you got to do is, once host is Added in vCenter server inventory, perform Storage vMotion migration of these VMs to your shared storage.

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified
xorxeli
Contributor
Contributor

Is it problem or not to migrate vms from local storage to shared storage in production environment  Without downtime ?

0 Kudos
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Storage vMotion is not going to require any downtime. It will let your VM continue to run (service availability will not be affected) while VM files move from your Local datastore to Shared Datastore.

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified
0 Kudos
xorxeli
Contributor
Contributor

Thanky so much .

I`ve last question.

VSAN needs minimum 2 servers to make shared storage .

On one server esxi is installed already and how it`s possible to join local storage in shared storage without downtime ?

0 Kudos
Garry_N
Contributor
Contributor

In case you decide that VMware vSAN is kinda expensive and actually requires 3 host to achieve HA (witness node). Check out StarWind Virtual SAN, we will do the same thing or even better depending on your need. Also, we only require 2 nodes for HA.

StarWindRP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You nailed it. They state 2-nodes, however that does not account for the witness node. StarWind's Virtual SAN can truly provide HA with just 2-nodes. No need for a witness node at all.

0 Kudos