VMware Cloud Community
ChGPe
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter HA Deployment Fails

I'm attempting to deploy a vCenter HA setup. We are running vCenter 6.5. I have created the replication network, validated that communication is possible on this network, and selected the basic setup. While the HA deployment is running, the 'Clone virtual machine' task fails with an error "An error occurred while communicating with the remote host." Has anyone run into this? I can't seem to find any information online.

pastedImage_0.png

11 Replies
Devi94
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Is that self managed vcenter ? All your esxi hosts configured for separate ha network?

0 Kudos
dstamen
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Do you see your ESXi host disconnecting? The error is stating that it cannot communicate with the ESXi host or vCenter. you can check the vcha.log on the vCenter, or contact GSS to open a support ticket.

0 Kudos
ChGPe
Contributor
Contributor

Yes it is.

We have an HA network configured as a VM network on each of the ESX hosts. Is that what you are asking?

0 Kudos
ChGPe
Contributor
Contributor

No, the hosts don't disconnect, but I lose connectivity to vCenter. I assumed that a vCenter outage of some kind was part of the deployment.

0 Kudos
dstamen
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

that is not right, during VCHA configuration there is no disruption. if you are seeing wierd behavior id suggest opening a GSS case. this is not expected.

0 Kudos
Devi94
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

that is what i was asking, other prerequisites

i) enabled ssh on primary vcsa ?

ii) second nic added to your vcsa and ip configured without GW?

iii) you have correct vlan id assigned to your HA port group ?

0 Kudos
dstamen
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Here are details on VCHA. make sure you are meeting all the requirements.

Plan the vCenter HA Deployment

0 Kudos
ChGPe
Contributor
Contributor

I don't think I'm missing any of the requirements from what I can see. I'm going to go ahead and give the Advanced configuration a try. One quick question on the advanced configuration:

During the cloning step for the passive node, it tells me to create a Guest OS customization which assigns the exact same management IP address of the active node to the passive node. How does this not cause an IP conflict when the passive node first boots up? I'm a little leery of pulling the trigger on the cloning task until I understand exactly what's going on under the covers here.

0 Kudos
PaulFreedman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, I have the same issue, did you manage to resolve this?

0 Kudos
birend1988
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Are you using NFS3 for VCHA.

Use Advanced option and clone the nodes manually. If it fails again, share the vpxd and vcha log files.

VCIX, NCAP
ydheeraj
Contributor
Contributor

Advanced option resolved my issue. Thanks.

0 Kudos