VMware Cloud Community
SchneiderRobert
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter Foundation + Standard and vSphere Replication

Hi,

We already have side A with vCenter standard and 2 hosts +50 VMs. And now we build Side B with vCenter Foundatian one host and make a replication with vSphere Replication so we can turn side B on if A fails. Both sides have their own storage and in a different datacenter.

Is this Setup working or is there any Problem with two different licenses and VMR?

The informations i got is that Foundation only supports 3 Hosts but all other functions are the same as in the standard license is this correct?

Thanks in advance

Robert

0 Kudos
3 Replies
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Robert,

Welcome to VMware Community!

The replication is actually part of ESXi license and does not depend on the vCenter license. vCenter license will only decide the amount of host sthat can be managed using that particular vCenter.

Apart from Essentials kit, Everything else (Essentials Plus, Standard, Enterprise, Enterprise Plus) support vSphere replication.

So my question to you is, what ESXi license do you have on site B?

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
SchneiderRobert
Contributor
Contributor

On side B we have a VMware vSphere 5 Enterprise - we upgrade both sides to 6

The biggest question we have: can both vCenter communicate with each other and is it possible to do the replication.

since we need a second vCenter for side B we need to order a vCenter license and we would prefer the foundation since the price is a big difference for us.

0 Kudos
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The replication would work and the only difference between a normal (standard) vCenter and a foundation vCenter is the number hosts they can manage.

I would suggest you to have a word with the sales representative and get a confirmation before you make the purchase.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/