VMware Cloud Community
EloHHH
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter Deployment Size! what if it reachs the limit!

Hi,

I'm running a vCenter with a Small environment (up to 100 hosts or 1,000 virtual machines) size!
It is already passed 1000 VMs, but some of those VMs are powered off at the moment! So I guess the limit would be 1000 powered-on VMs!

My question is, if I turn on 1001 VMs, what will happen?! or will be there any problem if I add the 101st host on vCenter?!

I did not find a clear answer for this, so I decided to post it!

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Ajay1988
Expert
Expert

It will affect the VCSA performance .
Check if there is an upgrade path available . Like 6.5 to 6.7 or 6.7 to 7.0 and while upgrade increase your deployment sizing.
If upgrade is not possible you can increase the vCPU and Memory . Storage partition sizing also needs to be increased accordingly so that it does not fill up.

If you think your queries have been answered
Mark this response as "Correct" or "Helpful".

Regards,
AJ
0 Kudos
Ardaneh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

You can think of vCenter as a regular VM, so if there is any kind of performance issue regarding the resources, you can increase it without any problem.

You can increase vCPU, Memory, and Disk by using "Edit Settings", and for Disk, after increasing the selected disk you must run the "autogrow" script inside the vCenter VM.

/usr/lib/applmgmt/support/scripts/autogrow.sh

0 Kudos
NicolasAlauzet

As Ardaneh said, you can modify the resources on your appliance to met the "sizing spects" for a bigger deployment.

Check this post, has a step by step on how to handle the disks inside the VCSA (After you add more space to the disks there are additional steps)

https://www.virtualpotholes.com/post/151039651400/how-to-resize-the-vcenter-server-appliance-vcsa

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Triple VCIX (CMA-NV-DCV) | vExpert | MCSE | CCNA
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
-Hamoo-
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same questio so I open ticket to VMware support. They said that I can expand vcpu, memory and disk but the supported host and vm limit will not be fixed. We need to upgrade deployment size while upgrade version.

0 Kudos