VMware Cloud Community
Charadeur
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter Appliance rejecting logins

I am having an issue at a client site where the vCenter Appliance started rejecting logins.  Reboot it and everything is fine for a day.  Then rejecting logins again.  I looked at several KB articles but they seem to be related to older version as we are on 5.0.0.3324.  Any ideas?

If I can't get this solved I was thinking of just installing vCenter on a windows server.  They own the Essentials version of vShpere.  Is there any thing special I need to do to birth a vCenter on widnows and switch it over? 

0 Kudos
21 Replies
iw123
Commander
Commander

Do you see anything in the log files,

• From the vSphere 5.1 Web Client – Click Home > Log Browser, then from the Log Browser, click Select object now, choose an ESX host or vCenter Server object, and click OK.
*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers
0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert

http://communities.vmware.com/message/2199035#2199035

See if that helps Smiley Happy

Do remember to mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answer your query!
0 Kudos
Charadeur
Contributor
Contributor

I am on 5.0 and don't see any Log Browser option.  I can see the log files in /var/log/vmware/vpx but don't know which log to even start looking in.

0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert

#df -h

Let me know if you see any partition at 100% usage

Generally it's the /storage/core

Regards

a

Do remember to mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answer your query!
0 Kudos
Charadeur
Contributor
Contributor

Nope. Good thought though.  None at 100%.  /storage/core is showing 58%.

0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert

Hmm.. Could you run a #ls -lrth inside the /var/log/vmware/vpx/ and attach the last set of vmware-vpxd* files to this thread?

0 Kudos
Charadeur
Contributor
Contributor

All I see is the one file with that name.  I attemped to do an update hoping it would fix it but now it appears to have faild to update and not doing anything. 

0 Kudos
JosephConlin
Contributor
Contributor

Now your embedded database isn't starting up.

Try to manually start your vmware-vpostgres service.

If it still fails then go look for errors in the log

it's in /storage/db/vpostgres/serverlog

0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert

etc/init.d/vmware-vpxd start
Waiting for the embedded database to start up: .............................   failed

Looks like the DB is failing

Charadeur
Contributor
Contributor

I saw that as well.  I have attemped to update to the latest build and it has been an hour or more with no obvious progress.  Running top shows db2inst1 still doing stuff so I don't know if I am being impatient or if it is stuck on the database part. 

0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert

Would help just waiting in case it's actually doing something in the background.

0 Kudos
Charadeur
Contributor
Contributor

vmware-vpostgres starts just fine. 

0 Kudos
JShroll
Contributor
Contributor

I have been experiencing the same thing.   Hoping to find the answer in the Community Forums.

0 Kudos
Charadeur
Contributor
Contributor

I opened a case and still waiting for a call back.  I'm sure I will get it at 5:05. 

0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert

Just checking whether you had a chance to work on this with support?

0 Kudos
Charadeur
Contributor
Contributor

As I suspected they called back after hours on Friday.  I have an apointment to work with them on Wenesday but I'm not sure I am going to have time then  as other emergancies have come up.  This has gotten to be a real problem with scheduling. 

0 Kudos
JShroll
Contributor
Contributor

You don't have to get them on the phone - you've got enough information here to create a case online and you can communicate over e-mail....

0 Kudos
Charadeur
Contributor
Contributor

No they wanted to connect in and take a look. 

0 Kudos
JShroll
Contributor
Contributor

This is still happenning to us..... any news out there on this issue?

0 Kudos