VMware Cloud Community
hurdle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter Appliance AD Authentication

With the addition of SSO in 5.1, and the fact that when you logon to the vCenter via Web or Windows Client (If I understand it correctly) authentication passes through SSO then why does the vCenter Appliance still have you set AD in the Admin Settings?  I notice that if I don't put AD enabled then when I look in vCenter under roles no Domain is listed.

If SSO takes care of everything why is that the case?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

From my little understanding of SSO and vast amount of googling,

then why does the vCenter Appliance still have you set AD in the Admin Settings?

SSO provides a secured channel like for authenticating the APIs it is registered for. Still for management purpose or assigning roles in VC or web based client, we need to have authentication from a database like or in this case the AD.

I don't put AD enabled then when I look in vCenter under roles no Domain is listed.

This is because, SSO by default has a limited set of users permissions and roles which deal only with the login priveleges/access to other components. There will be no roles in the VC since there is no AD integrated here.

0 Kudos
Gkeerthy
Expert
Expert

http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2012/09/vcenter-single-sign-on-part-1-what-is-vcenter-single-sign-on...

also just refer the above for more info regarding the SSO

Please don't forget to award point for 'Correct' or 'Helpful', if you found the comment useful. (vExpert, VCP-Cloud. VCAP5-DCD, VCP4, VCP5, MCSE, MCITP)
0 Kudos