VMware Cloud Community
nh2021
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter Alarm Definitions SNAPSHOT

Hello to all,

I want to define an alarm for powered on VMs working on an open snapshot.  The only problem I have is that if I apply the alarm to the host or the cluster, then it will apply the alarm to ALL virtual machines, both powered on and powered off.  The alarm definition will not let me save the definition if I apply the clause "VM Powered On".

At the moment I have to create the alarm on each powered on VM indepently, which is very manual and not really ideal.

Is there a way that I can define an alarm for an Open Snapshot at a Host or Cluster level, and that it will only apply to VMs that are powered on?

Thankyou kindly all for your help.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Hey, hope you are doing fine.
Try create a custom alarm definition on the VM object and using this triggers

nachogonzalez_0-1629095177732.png

I think that might do the trick.

Warm regards

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
nh2021
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply and yes I'm doing quite well thankyou.

Yep, I had previously set the alarm rule as you suggest, but as I click the "Create" button, a "Parameter Error" pops up, and of course the pop up error message doesn't contain any info!

If I remove the "powered on" clause in the Alarm then everything works fine, but its not a suitable solution for me as some of my clients have Veeam Replicas stored within Hosts of the same vCenter.

This is not a one-off error,  all my clients that are working with vCenter (and using different versions) have the same issue.

0 Kudos
Ximmer00
Contributor
Contributor

Up on this subject.

When doing an exact same alarm type, with only one triggers (snapshot size) it works perfectly, but when trying to add a second trigger (VM is powered on or off), the alarm goes in error with this message : "A specified parameter was not correct: spec"

Has anyone fixed this issue ?

Vcenter server in version 7.0.3, build 19234570

andersonATX
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here, one parameter works fine but it looks messy to see ! all over the vms that are powered off....i just care about the powered on ones but the alarm wont allow 2 triggers with an AND without saying "a specified parameter was not correct"

i tried on 7 and 6.7 versions of vmware/vsphere