VMware Cloud Community
Ahmed0Afify
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter 7 Resources Inquiry

Hello Dear Community ,

i have vcenter 7 and my question is about

how to use this free resources i got 712.78 GHz CPU Free and 465.67 GB Ram FREE how to use them

can u advice me please

thanks and regards

vcenter.JPG

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Why do you want to use the just because it is there and currently free? What is your thought process?

With 51 VMs powered off you are using more the 75% of your memory, and at the moment you can afford to lose a couple of your 18 hosts and still not have performance impacted when the powered on VMs failover thanks to HA.

Use much more of your memory and the performance of your VMs may begin to suffer due to memory contention - which would only get worse if you powered on more VMs or had a HA event.

So while you have plenty of CPU resource available, I personally wouldn't be pushing memory utilisation up too much further.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Ahmed0Afify
Contributor
Contributor

thank you for your reply

but i have a task about how to use this free resources CPU and memory

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

That doesn't answer my question.

What do you actually want to use the resource for?

What is making you think you can push the memory utilisation higher than the 75%+ that it already is?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
Ahmed0Afify
Contributor
Contributor

i am asking about to use them for DRS , resource pool or something like this

because my hosts already has 90% consumption ram and cpu 

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

No, I'm still not clear.

You asked a previous question about DRS.

Are the hosts already in a cluster? If so, is that cluster enabled for HA, for DRS, or for both HA and DRS?

You seem to have plenty of unused CPU resource (although that screenshot is a point in time rather than showing any trend over time), but your memory usage is already reasonably high across the 18 hosts.

0 Kudos