VMware Cloud Community
hockeyman591
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCenter 7.0.3 guest customization - network not connected on deployment

I have an odd one that i have been chasing for hours now. 

vCenter 7.0.3

ESX 6.7.0, 18828794

DVS 6.6.0 (static binding port groups)

template HW version is 14

everything within the cluster is working just fine... except when i try to deploy a template...

built a fresh 2019 template with nothing installed. Removed defender, sysprep to generalize. (tried this several times with VMXNET and E1000E -same results)

created a customization specification for the 2019 template. nothing fancy, left the network to DHCP

deploying a windows system from this template using the customization the box deploys but the network on the new system is disconnected and the "connect at startup" is also disconnected. Maybe the template right? no.. went back to make sure.. it is connected there.

So what gives? it never was like this before. The deployment just hangs because the network is disconnected. it never connects. i have let it sit for hours and nothing. this is a problem. If i run through this entire process again but don't turn the new system on at the end, and manually connect the network adapter, boot, customization works fine from there. Why is VMware not connecting the network? VMware tools is installed and the lastest version so what gives?? 

Anyone else seeing this? solution?

btw... windows 2016, windows desktop 10 are doing the same thing as well. is there something new that i am missing? I am going to policies and profiles to create the customization. 

i also tried this going to a standard switch.. same results.. 

been doing these type of pushes for 15 years and never came across this before...

first one to help me fix it gets a beer!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hockeyman591
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

well... figured it out. I guess it is different then the way i have always known it to be, Its because I am old... 

so in case anyone else is like me

do not sysprep the image. I know all logic says to you that you should because in the past that is the only way to get a new SSID.. vmware will generate it for you. SO dont sysprep the image, just do what you need to and shut it down, convert to template. 

make sure in your profile you have "generate new SSID" checked.

problem solved. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
hockeyman591
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

well... figured it out. I guess it is different then the way i have always known it to be, Its because I am old... 

so in case anyone else is like me

do not sysprep the image. I know all logic says to you that you should because in the past that is the only way to get a new SSID.. vmware will generate it for you. SO dont sysprep the image, just do what you need to and shut it down, convert to template. 

make sure in your profile you have "generate new SSID" checked.

problem solved. 

0 Kudos