VMware Cloud Community
BlueFalls
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCenter 7.0.3 Clean install remediation tries to install ESXi_70U2x

I did a clean install, complete wipe, of 7.0U3.  When I remediate it tries to install

ESXi70U2a

ESXi70U2c

ESXi70U2sc

ESXi70U2d

Which are al older and cause issues (fail the remediation).

Also it's trying to install like 5 versions of intel-nvme-vmd which I don't think is possible 4 of which are a lower version.

Why is doing this and how cause I fix it so I can remediate again?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BlueFalls
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I haven't tried a manual install, but installing 7.0.3.00200 + reinstalling 7.0.3b iso image has fixed remediation for me.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
PaulB2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Since the patch release on 10/5/21 the Lifecycle manage and patches are not working correctly.

I have been fighting similar issues for 2 weeks and have had multiple cases open with VM support.

No resolution so far, know that you are not alone.

BlueFalls
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have been resorting to making a custom baseline, and adding what I feel is a legit update then only remediating that one baseline, it's not ideal.  But I have no other solution, it completely breaks if I try to remediate.

7.0.3.00100 did make a difference, I really hope there is an update to fix this soon.

0 Kudos
PaulB2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

There is a new KB out regarding PSOD with 7.03, we've rolled back to 7.02.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/86100

I strongly recommend holding off until VMware resolves all these issues with 7.03.

BlueFalls
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Paul.

I think I might do the same thing, I have it pretty stable but there are a lot of little bugs for sure.  The update one being a major bug IMHO.

0 Kudos
BlueFalls
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Paul,

Real fast, since I'm starting the downgrade back to U2.  How can I stop U3 during remediation?  Since I was on U2, and that is how this U3 stuff started, a remediation installed it and messed everything up.  I want to avoid that from happening.

Custom Baselines and remove all 7.0.3 lines for the versions?

0 Kudos
PaulB2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That is exactly what I did for the non-critical patches. I also seems that 7.0U2c needs to be installed to have the final 7.0U2d to show compliant.

BlueFalls
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What a PITA!  Thanks for your input though I do appreciate it.

0 Kudos
BlueFalls
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Paul,

One last question since I'm somewhat new to vCenter and ESXi, though I know linux well.

I can't figure out how I can backup my config on 7.0U3 and import it on 7.0U2, I opened it up and fixed the manifest by lowering the build number.  That allowed me to import but then it wouldn't boot.  Is there a tool or maybe some files I need to remove I just don't want to have to setup all my datastore and networks.  Wish I could just export certain parts, strictly config.  Obviously the config export/import is doing more then just config files if it can't boot, there must be binaries involved?

0 Kudos
PaulB2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

New 7.03 updates out today to fix the PSOD UNMAP issue.

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/rn/vsphere-esxi-70u3a-release-notes.html#resolvedissue...

The config backup/restore process has to be from and to the same OS version.

In my case I have several hosts at the older 7.02 level and did a config backup from there, reinstalled esxi 7.02 on the 7.03 host and patched to the same level as the host that provided the config.

Attempted the restore and it failed complaining about the UUID, copied the UUID from the error message and updated the manifest.txt file. Ran the restore and it worked fine.

The restore process does bring over the host name and IP and also some vmk mac addresses/IP so that all has to be sorted.

BlueFalls
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

great more learning 😛

Need to figure out where I can find the VIBs for it so I can install them by hand I suppose.

Thanks for the heads up though happy to see they are working on it even if they aren't publicly replying to anyone.

0 Kudos
BlueFalls
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I haven't tried a manual install, but installing 7.0.3.00200 + reinstalling 7.0.3b iso image has fixed remediation for me.

0 Kudos
Didi7
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well, checking Home / Product Patches / VC / 7.0.3 ...

I can only see VC-7.0u3b Build Number: 18901211

The file is called ...

VMware-vCenter-Server-Appliance-7.0.3.00200-18901211-patch-FP.iso (Release date 2021-11-12)

Where do you find 7.0.3c and can you change the size of harddisks of any VM?

0 Kudos
BlueFalls
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sorry it's b, not c

vcenter I did via update (and I did vcenter first)

On ESXi, I didn't test upgrade since I couldn't do to the issues, so I did a clean install via ISO for all my ESXi (vSphere clients).

Now my system is 100% remediated for the first time since 7.0.3

0 Kudos
Didi7
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can you change the size of harddisks of any VM?

0 Kudos
BlueFalls
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I haven't had a need to try, but I'll give it a shot and report back tomorrow.

0 Kudos