I changed the vCenter 6 IP from within web client.
Since I had problems connecting to the new IP, I restarted the server via vSphere Client directly on the host using VMware Tools.
After the restart, I can't connect to vCenter any more. Trying to connect via https shows me the following error:
Then I directly used the console, enabled ssh and bash and logged in there.
I tried to check the current IP settings via the script used in version 5.5 which still exists (/opt/vmware/share/vami/vami_config_net) but fails with multiple errors.
Then, I tried to reset the certificates via certificate manager (/usr/lib/vmware-vmca/bin/certificate-manager), but I could not login via SSO (seems that SSO service could also not be started).
Then, I had a look in the log files, and noticed a problem with vmware-vpxd:
VC SSL certificate does not exist, it will be generated by vpxd
This did not help either. I tried to manually start the service, with the same result.
How can I fix my vCenter?
try to change ip in DNS and /etc/hosts on vcenter. ping vcenter FQDN from shell must work.
This worked for me, thanks for the help.
login to appliance management on port 5480 and enable ssh login & bash access. login with ssh and drop into the shell, edit the /etc/hosts file with vi and change the ip address
I got this error after changing the vCenter's IP address
That got me fixed
** make sure the vCenter hostname only has what ever was originally entered during installation **
Late, but hopefully useful for others. I ran into this today from similar activities (changed IP, name, etc.) After realizing there's no change flexibility, I reinstalled with certain, permanent values to prevent this from happening again. This appliance runs alone in a v6 host (HP blade.) All worked well, even rebooted a couple of times to ensure it'd remain functioning. Then I made an atypical network change, after-witch my vCenter broke. The change was at the HP C7000 chassis @ layer 2.
Initially networks were provided to the blades via shared up-link sets (SUS) containing ~ 3 vlans over the first 2 LOM's (on-board NIC's) --> vSwitch0 with vlan support.
Change..., configured same 2 LOM's to "tunnel" the vlans to the host --> vSwitch0. Both configurations use virtual switch tagging (VST) and should have no effect. After everything came up and I realized the vCenter was borked, simple troubleshooting proved the network config was solid... I could ping interfaces on all 3 vlans (one which was on the vCenter appliance.) Pulled hair out, scoured I-net, and searched logs. Happened to notice the appliance's hostname was populated with its FQDN, generally no big deal - but I'm certain I entered it with only the hostname (just built the dang thing for the ##?? time) So;
I manually edited the hostname from the console back to just the hostname and rebooted... everything came back functioning as designed. I'm going to keep this thing in dev a bit longer... not sure it's ready for more than playing with at this point, to fragile with little information available for troubleshooting.
i changed nothing...not an IP etc....but it still shows this error....gave a static IP because need ESXi with vCenter for a home lab setup.....
Pls can someone from VMWare post whether this is a known bug or something.....have even heard that it effects ESXi 6U2 also....
This process worked for me. Thanks for the tip about the hosts file.
Thanks, this solved my issue too.
Exact steps for editing hosts file are laid out in Talon256 posts (no.23 in this thread) so kudos go to you both.
Thanks a lot for a step-by-step guide, much appreciated! This resolved my issue, too.
Please note, that I did not restart all services, just vSphere web client service as in rlevchenko.com guide (cited), and it didn't work apparently, thus I rebooted entire appliance. The vsphere-client didn't work at first, then showed that is 'preparing itself' and only after about 5-7 mins from appliance start the website was available; so be patient.
I had the same problem, saw the same error messages as reported by all. However, in my case, it was a time drift problem on the ESXi host that created the problem. To fix it, I had to:
1) ssh into the ESXi host
2) using the instructions at: How to Change the ESXi System Time & HW Clock on the CLI I changed the system clock.
3) restarted the VCSA from vSphere client and all is working fine now.
So as FYI for those that may face a timing issue, you may see the same error message.
I had this exact problem. I changed the IP addresses on two appliances. One using the console. The other using the VAMI. Both had this issue starting vmware-vpxd. I thought it was certificate related but that was not the case.
When you change the IP, the hosts file is not updated. From the console or CLI, vi /etc/hosts and update the value for the appliance. Restart the appliance and it should start up normally.