I changed the vCenter 6 IP from within web client.
Since I had problems connecting to the new IP, I restarted the server via vSphere Client directly on the host using VMware Tools.
After the restart, I can't connect to vCenter any more. Trying to connect via https shows me the following error:
Then I directly used the console, enabled ssh and bash and logged in there.
I tried to check the current IP settings via the script used in version 5.5 which still exists (/opt/vmware/share/vami/vami_config_net) but fails with multiple errors.
Then, I tried to reset the certificates via certificate manager (/usr/lib/vmware-vmca/bin/certificate-manager), but I could not login via SSO (seems that SSO service could also not be started).
Then, I had a look in the log files, and noticed a problem with vmware-vpxd:
VC SSL certificate does not exist, it will be generated by vpxd
This did not help either. I tried to manually start the service, with the same result.
How can I fix my vCenter?
login to appliance management on port 5480 and enable ssh login & bash access. login with ssh and drop into the shell, edit the /etc/hosts file with vi and change the ip address
I got this error after changing the vCenter's IP address
That got me fixed
** make sure the vCenter hostname only has what ever was originally entered during installation **
Late, but hopefully useful for others. I ran into this today from similar activities (changed IP, name, etc.) After realizing there's no change flexibility, I reinstalled with certain, permanent values to prevent this from happening again. This appliance runs alone in a v6 host (HP blade.) All worked well, even rebooted a couple of times to ensure it'd remain functioning. Then I made an atypical network change, after-witch my vCenter broke. The change was at the HP C7000 chassis @ layer 2.
Initially networks were provided to the blades via shared up-link sets (SUS) containing ~ 3 vlans over the first 2 LOM's (on-board NIC's) --> vSwitch0 with vlan support.
Change..., configured same 2 LOM's to "tunnel" the vlans to the host --> vSwitch0. Both configurations use virtual switch tagging (VST) and should have no effect. After everything came up and I realized the vCenter was borked, simple troubleshooting proved the network config was solid... I could ping interfaces on all 3 vlans (one which was on the vCenter appliance.) Pulled hair out, scoured I-net, and searched logs. Happened to notice the appliance's hostname was populated with its FQDN, generally no big deal - but I'm certain I entered it with only the hostname (just built the dang thing for the ##?? time) So;
I manually edited the hostname from the console back to just the hostname and rebooted... everything came back functioning as designed. I'm going to keep this thing in dev a bit longer... not sure it's ready for more than playing with at this point, to fragile with little information available for troubleshooting.
i changed nothing...not an IP etc....but it still shows this error....gave a static IP because need ESXi with vCenter for a home lab setup.....
Pls can someone from VMWare post whether this is a known bug or something.....have even heard that it effects ESXi 6U2 also....
Thanks a lot for a step-by-step guide, much appreciated! This resolved my issue, too.
Please note, that I did not restart all services, just vSphere web client service as in rlevchenko.com guide (cited), and it didn't work apparently, thus I rebooted entire appliance. The vsphere-client didn't work at first, then showed that is 'preparing itself' and only after about 5-7 mins from appliance start the website was available; so be patient.
I had the same problem, saw the same error messages as reported by all. However, in my case, it was a time drift problem on the ESXi host that created the problem. To fix it, I had to:
1) ssh into the ESXi host
2) using the instructions at: How to Change the ESXi System Time & HW Clock on the CLI I changed the system clock.
3) restarted the VCSA from vSphere client and all is working fine now.
So as FYI for those that may face a timing issue, you may see the same error message.
I had this exact problem. I changed the IP addresses on two appliances. One using the console. The other using the VAMI. Both had this issue starting vmware-vpxd. I thought it was certificate related but that was not the case.
When you change the IP, the hosts file is not updated. From the console or CLI, vi /etc/hosts and update the value for the appliance. Restart the appliance and it should start up normally.