VMware Cloud Community
MatthewFB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter 6.7U3 clean install - One hard disk (2) wont convert to thin...

Hello,

We run our environment on all Thin, including vCenter (we have enough performance through out the stack it is not an issue)

I just did a clean install of vCenter 6.7 U3 and set the install to Thin , however once done, we have a 1.68GB (hard disk 2) that is Thick Provisioned Eager Zeroed. I have vMotion this disk and set it to Thin but it will not convert.

Anyone know if this can be changed, or is it a requirement of 6.7 for this 1 hard disk to remain Thick Eager?

6 Replies
AhmedIbrahimVMw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have a VCSA 6.7 U3 deployed in my lab, and the second VMDK is thin-provisioned. The deployment size is Small. This disk size is 1.69 GB.

However, in another lab environment, there's another VCSA U1b (build 11727113), that was deployed using Tiny configuration, and the second disk is "Thick Provision Eager Zeroed". This disk size is 1.6 GB.

As per the following KB, the second disk is used for /tmp:

List of VMDKs/Partitions for a vCenter Server Appliance 6.7

What is the deployment size that you chose when you ran the Installer?

MatthewFB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for that Link. We had done the Tiny installation for ours, so perhaps a limitation on the Tiny installation.

0 Kudos
berndweyand
Expert
Expert

i deployed 6.7u1, later update to u2 and then u3. all disks are thin

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Sounds interesting. In order to see whether this can be reproduced, please provide some details about the environment:

• VMFS version of the target datastore (assuming you are using a VMFS datastore)?
  • ESXi version, and build?

What I'd like to find out, is whether this has to do with the newly introduced internally used file block sizes (LFB/SFB) in VMFS6.

Btw. how does hadrd disk 9 (1 GB) look like regarding its provisioning type?

As a side note: I'd recommend using at least the "small" setup for better performance.

André

BerndtSchumann
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you are able to extend the size, do it. Provision will be changed to the thin.

0 Kudos
MatthewFB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello a.p.

Information is

• VMFS 6 datastore
  • Host is ESXI 6.5.0 6765664

I just nuked the Tiny install and did a small install instead (performance is always good!). Same issue with the Hard disk 2 sticking to Thick Eager.

The vCenter install version is 6.7.0.41000

Hard disk 9 at 1G is Thin.

0 Kudos