VMware Cloud Community
TimR26
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCenter 6.7U1 file based backups using FileZilla FTPS Server

I've configured FileZilla accordingly, created a backup schedule for testing. The backup was estimated to be approx 365mb in size. The schedule kicked in and started uploading content to the FTPS server. At the 297mb mark, vcsa start deleting all the content and spits out and error, "BackupManager encountered an exception." The logs on FileZilla do not show anything unusual, but checking the /var/log/vmware/applmgmt/backup.log, I found this entry:

BackupManager encountered an exception: While reading from '/etc/systemd/network/10-eth0.network' [line 8]: option 'address' in section 'Network' already exists

I checked the file the error is referencing and that particular line is the IPv4 address of the vcsa.

I'm stumped.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

When you grep for the word 'address' in the file </etc/systemd/network/10-eth0.network>, how many rows are seen? Ideally, there should be just one.

- Supreet

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

When you grep for the word 'address' in the file </etc/systemd/network/10-eth0.network>, how many rows are seen? Ideally, there should be just one.

- Supreet

0 Kudos
TimR26
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Two addresses return, IPv4 and IPv6.

0 Kudos
TimR26
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

*UPDATE*

I disabled IPv6 on the VCSA and grep'd the file again to ensure the IPv6 entry is gone (which it was), and the backup completed.

I've been told that disabling IPv6 can mess up patching? Can anyone clarify? If so, is this still a thing in 6.7?

0 Kudos
mulae
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

TimR26 - i dont know really about the patching thing, but just a heads up that you will encounter the same exception if you are planning to have multiple static routes configured. We are encountering same exception with backup manager. Till now it appears that there are no workarounds.

0 Kudos
erpomik
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It seems, even though we are writing 2019 on the calendar, that IPv6 is still not fully supported.

I have recently tried the VCSA backup feature on a number of VCSAs and they all fail consequently at about 35%. When I look in the backup.log, I find an error like this:

BackupManager encountered an exception: While reading from '/etc/systemd/network/10-eth0.network' [line  7]: option 'gateway' in section 'Network' already exists

The 10-eth0.network file looks like this:

[Match]

Name=eth0

[Network]

Gateway=2001:****:248:64::100:1

Gateway=172.**.100.1

Address=2001:****:248:64::100:203/64

Address=172.**.100.203/23

IPv6AcceptRouterAdvertisements=false

DHCP=no

[DHCP]

UseDNS=false

Which is a perfectly legal dual-stack config file.

All our VCSAs are running 6.7U2 (6.7.0.30000)

0 Kudos