VMware Cloud Community
jwcrabtree
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter 6.7 to 7

We are getting ready to upgrade to vCenter 7 and I am looking for some suggestions. Currently we have 2 vCenter appliances on 6.7 with the latest patches due to a recent change. We would like to merge both vCenter's into a new vCenter running 7. The hurdle is our backups. We use Rubrik and backups were configured for each vCenter and it's vm's. If we move a vm to a different vCenter, it takes a full backup since Rubrik assumes it is a new vm.

My thought is to bring the new vCenter online and join the other 2 to it in linked mode. Once joined, we want to rename all esxi hosts (1 at a time) to a converged naming convention, change DNS entries and confirm the correct host name in esxi and then add some vm's to it before moving it to the new vCenter. All 23 hosts are on esxi 6.7. I understand there is a way to get the UUID from the old vCenter and assign it to the vm in the new vCenter so backups continue and a full is not needed (we have some fairly large vm > 5 TB).

Has anyone ever migrated 2 vCenters into 1 while changing versions?

Anyone have experience migrating Rubrik backups to a new vCenter?

Anyone ever done both at the same time (longshot prayer!)?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

If no one else answers, since I don't know, you may want to ask rubric if you haven't. Commvault bases the backups of the vms uuid, and those numbers are per vcenter. We run into a problem because we migrate vms from one environment to the other and the backups get screwed up because the uuid match. You can change the uuids oin the VMware side, which can be a lot of work, but I'm not sure if Rubrik does it  the same way. Outside of backups, removing the hosts from one vcenter and adding them to the other works fine, but you'll loose tags, alarms, permission, and a few other things from the vcenter you want to get rid  of.

Nico11
Contributor
Contributor

I think it is too late for your migration. But for others :

There is an option in rubrik :

https://www.google.ch/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjz877soq7yAh...

it is named vm linking and if you enable this option rubrik understand this is the same VM even if the uuid change.

0 Kudos