VMware Cloud Community
supernicolae
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter 6.5 installer stalls at 80%

Im trying to do a fresh install of vCenter 6.5 on a host running ESXi 5.5.  I go thru the install, provide input for all the fields, but the installer sits at 80%.

If I login to the vSphere Client I can see that there's a tasks that says "initiates an operation to transfer a file from the guest"  This fails with "Failed to authenticate with the guest operating system using the supplied credentials."

I then open up a console to the newly created VM and it says root password is not set.  RPM installation failed. 

If I press F2 to customize the system, it first wants me to configure a root password.

The Old Password field is grayed out.

I type in a new password

I type the same value in confirm password

It always comes back with "The password change operation failed."

Im using the win32 GUI installer off the 6.5.0-4602587 ISO.

Before anyone asks, I do have DNS configured for both forward and reverse.  I dont think the problem is DNS related.  I suspect its related to the lack of a root password and no ability to change it.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
supernicolae
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
Camero
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

supernicolae

There has been an update to the 6.5 GA bits please refer to the release notes  VMware vSphere 6.5 Release Notes

And if possible kindly use the latest version available 65u1c  : VMware vCenter Server 6.5 Update 1c Release Notes  

0 Kudos